Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Empty
PostSubject: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 12:28 am

MSC is another cruise line I'm not familiar with. Can someone fill me in on where it fits in the scheme of things?
Where would it fit in with the other lines out there in comparison?

I like the idea of these "music" cruises. Let me know if you can get Jimmy Buffett on a cruise ship...you can bet I'll be there! geek

MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
MerryMeetingTravel
Host
Host

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:37 am

They do have "parrot head" cruises, but it is just the fans... no Jimmy Buffet!!

MSC is toward the luxury end of cruising...
Back to top Go down
http://www.MerryMeetingTravel.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 11:27 pm

I'd love to take one of those cruises...

Can someone fill me in on MSC?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 4:50 am

Hi, NDJollyMon
MSC Cruises (Mediterranean Shipping Cruises) is trying hard to fit into the cruising scene. Pricing seems to be affordable but you must watch what ship you get on. Some are old.

This is an Italian Shipping Line that is trying hard to compete. It's focus now on passenger ships and getting away from the image of "SHIPPING LINE" .They are very European with lots of European people on board so you will hear many languages spoken. Announcements are in English plus other languages as well. They tend to believe they have Unique itineraries, unique sized ships, focus on experienced travelers, and Italian hospitality, service, and style with Italian officers.

The MSC Opera and MSC Lirica have operated a variety of 11 night Caribbean and Panama itineraries in the winters in the past. The fleet includes ships built in 2001 (Armonia) 1566 pasengers; the Lirica built in 2003 for 1684 passengers; the Melody built in 1982 for 1064 passengers; the Monterey built in 1952 carrying about 576 passengers; Musica built in 2006 for 2550 passengers; the Opera built in 2004 for 1712 passengers; Orchestra built in 2007 2550 passengers. The Sinfonia ws built in 2002 for 1566 passengers. If travelers have cruised on other cruiselines they would notice the lack of some services others provide. Check out their website at http://www.msccruises.com I'd be anxious to hear also what others may say about MSC.

Are you planning to sail on MSC?

COME WITH US....
Get ready for VALENTINE DAY 2010 on the new Celebrity Solstice to the Eastern Caribbean! Join our LIVE CHAT Sept 25, 8pm Eastern
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 12:11 pm

Friendly Cruises wrote:
Hi, NDJollyMon

Are you planning to sail on MSC?

I love to try new things. While I really like Princess and RCI cruises...I think I'd like 'something different' as well. MSC is just another line I know very little about. Trying to 'expand my choices' so to speak. Thanks for your input!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 1:54 am

NDJollyMan

You say you like to try new things? How about trying to get a group going on "a house boat on Green Lake or the mighty Missouri? Laughing
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 12:02 pm

I think the shore excursions might be lacking! :-)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 08, 2008 3:25 pm

Laughing You have a point.
Back to top Go down
VJMorrow
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VJMorrow

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 11:34 am

NDJollyMom-

We are sailing MSC Poesia in December for the first time on an Eastern Mediterranean itinerary. I will give a full report when we get back.
Back to top Go down
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate
lordoftime

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 11:16 am

I am still not sure where they fit in with other cruise lines . Are MSC comparable to any other line , what would the closest one be ?
Back to top Go down
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
lolomeme

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi Pete,
My husband & I took a 10 day cruise on the Lirica about two years ago. The ship was beautiful, the food was pretty good, and service was fine. The things we did not like was the announcements all the time in four languages, sitting down for lunch at a large table and nobody speaking English. Also they could not have a comedian for entertainment because not everyone spoke the same language. Their production shows were not nearly up to Celebrity, Princess, Holland America, RCCL, Carnival etc. If you are traveling with a group, and are sure they will be your dinner mates, you will have a great time at a very good price. Hope that helps!
Lois & Mike
MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Event

MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Ticker
Back to top Go down
MerryMeetingTravel
Host
Host

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 2:53 pm

I am cruising on the MSC Orchestra in April. I have had clients sail on the Lirica this past December... and were very happy overall.

I will be able to give a first hand review in a few months...but I think they fit right in with the mainstream cruiselines. For those commenting on the announcements in 4 languages etc... when I was on the Costa Romantica it was like that as well... it was interesting the first few times...but it did get old after a while.

Dolores
Back to top Go down
http://www.MerryMeetingTravel.com
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate
lordoftime

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi Dolores

Check out the dancing for me Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?   MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MSC...where does it fit in the cruising scene?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Cruise Line Specific Boards :: MSC Cruise Lines-
Jump to: