Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Down The Shore Guy
Charter Member
Charter Member
Down The Shore Guy

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Empty
PostSubject: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 11:48 am

I've always just taken the cruise line insurance but, am beginning to wonder if it's the best insurance out there. Which insurance do you recommend to your clients and why?

PS - this forum is a great idea and thanks to the TAs who answer our questions!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 4:39 pm

Hello!

My personal preference is 3rd party insurance, and of those my personal favorite for my own travel is AIG Travel Guard.

Ultimately when deciding on insurance, look at what the various policies cover:
- trip cancellation (what reasons are covered)
- trip interruption (again, what reasons are covered; also check if cruise line insurance covers airfare not booked through them)
- trip delays (ditto)
- medical (does it pay PRIMARY or SECONDARY? Secondary coverage means you have to file with your medical insurance, then file with the travel insurance after you medical insurance has denied (or only partially paid) the claim)
- are pre-existing conditions covered?
- terrorist attacks?
- bankruptcy of the supplier? (when you buy insurance though the cruise line, it won't cover you if the cruise line files bankruptcy)

And make sure you understand what is meant by COVERED REASONS. Being called up for military duty often isn't covered, but jury duty might be (go figure).

Also, if you're looking at a "cancel for any reason" policy, verify that they'll reimburse with a cash refund and not "credit" towards future travel.
Back to top Go down
newmexiconita
NCL Host
NCL Host

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2007 4:50 pm

Welcome Shore Guy,

Talk about stupid, I can't believe I never connected your name with living on the shore even though I knew you were located in NJ. Not too bright of me. Again, welcome to you. I know you will have lots of valuable information to offer.

I don't have a favorite, but normally do not recommend the cruise line's insurance. Many plans are good, like anything else there isn't one that stands out. The most important thing is to make sure you understand what coverage you have.

Nita
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 12:06 am

The only benefit to taking the cruiseline insurance is if you think you'll need to cancel for a non-covered (medical) reason. I had a client that wasn't sure if they would be denied vacation at the last minute. Had they not taken the cruise line insurance they would have lost all of their money rather than just the 25%.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2007 12:22 am

Some 3rd party insurance policies might provide cancel-for-any-reason coverage as well:

Quote :
"Cancel For Any Reason" comprehensive benefits are now available to InsureMyTrip.com customers who purchase a TravelSafe Vacation Plan or the Global Alert! Preferred or Preferred Plus plans. "Cancel For Any Reason" covers 75% of the non-refundable Trip Cost. To receive this benefit:

• The plan be purchased within 15 days of trip deposit;
  • "Cancel For Any Reason" option must be selected by the purchaser;
  • All pre-paid, non-refundable trip costs are insured;
  • Your trip is cancelled two (2) or more days before the departure date.

Offering incredible flexibility and customer choice options, "Cancel For Any Reason" is a prime example of the travel insurance industry's ongoing efforts to address and serve real consumer interests. This unique benefit specially caters to customers with reason(s) to believe they may need to cancel their travels for reasons not otherwise covered. In addition, customers with the "Cancel For Any Reason" benefit plan are refunded 75% of the non-refundable trip cost as opposed to a travel voucher. These plans also include coverage for Financial Default which is not available on a typical travel supplier voucher plan.
Back to top Go down
becktours
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
becktours

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 12:46 pm

I have always purchased our travel insurance through AIG as well. Children 17 and under are free on certain policies. This works out great for us, since we have three kids!
Back to top Go down
http://www.becktours.com
luvcruising
Carnival Host
Carnival Host
luvcruising

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:37 pm

I've found that Carnival's Insurance was cheaper for my 80-something cruisers compared to several 3rd party insurance plans, however I usually recommend 3rd party plans.

Good question!

luvcruising.com

uCruiser.com Ticker
Back to top Go down
http://www.luvcruising.com
Iamboatman
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Iamboatman

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 2:19 pm

There are a number of reasons to choose cruise line coverages whether it be rate or cancel for any reason coverage or no pre-existing coverage exclusions. Sometimes the reason is far simplier: Some people just like the seamlessness of it as it is one less thing to make a decision about. (That many times also applies to airfare which is invariably more expensive when purchased through the lines.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.goldringtravel.com
MerryMeetingTravel
Host
Host

Number of posts : 186

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 6:32 pm

Personally, I too get the insurance for myself and family through a 3rd party.

I also recommend the same to my clients...

Dolores
Merry Meeting Travel
Dolores@MerryMeetingTravel.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.MerryMeetingTravel.com
Bibb
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 3:52 pm

We do 3rd party insurance. If you book your air separately, it may not be covered under the line's insurance package.

Just make sure of "what all is covered" no matter which plan you use. Medical, air, lost luggage, etc AND under "what circumstances" it applies (medical emergency [yours or a relative], missed flight, etc).

Bibb
Back to top Go down
http://bklongcrier.com
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 9:02 pm

I usually recommend the AIG TravelGuard, especially if you are not using the cruise line air and pre/post cruise lodging. The more seasoned sailors (over 80), do well with the cruise lines as most 3rd party insurance rates are based on the traveler's age.

Triangle Cruises
rogers@trianglecruises.com
800-784-4495
www.trianglecruises.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com
mpg1226
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
mpg1226

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 11:31 pm

A couple of the 3rd party insurance companies are offering kids under 18 free. For families, this can represent a significant cost savings.

I have been selling a lot of Travel Insured. I have found their prices to be a bit less expensive that Access America and they have had the kids free for a few months now. Just had a chat with my Access America rep this week and they will be offering kids free and a more liberal cancellation option coming out soon. Will have to find out more about that new option. Access America currently prices out less for the older clients but that may change with the intro of their new programs.

Mindy
My Vacation Lady
mindy@myvacationlady.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvacationlady.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?   Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which Do You Recommend Cruise Line Insurance or Independent?
Page 1 of 1