Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

River Cruisers - Meet Here

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 1:18 am

Lona....
Do you know if there is enough free time to visit Mauthausen? It is right along the Danube near Linz, Austria (12 miles)
It was one of the Nazi's largest, most notorious Concentration Camps...and were sailing right by it! Any chance we can visit? I'll blow off tours to see the complex!

River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 2:35 am

Hi, Pete
I do remember visiting some concentration camps on this river voyage but I don't remember if it was that one. I'd be ready when you get on board and ask the director if they would take you there with a tour or if they could arrange a car for you to see it. There are rental car companies in Linz as well if you wanted to do that. Be ready with a map and directions incase you would be driving. The crew has been going there many times and I bet are well versed on the camp. Maybe a little research would bring up the hours it is open for public and it could work. It looks like there is free time for that..Maybe even Passau? I'm not sure how far between Passau and Linz or what direction the camp is from Linz. Let me tell you seeing a concentration camp really does affect one emotionally!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 2:42 am

I found a wealth of info, maps, and pics. Looks like it's only 12 miles from Linz...on the river. Looks like we get to that area around dinner time. I wish I had a better breakdown of the hours of the day relative to our position on the river for our direction.

I'm more about seeing infamous/famous historical sites than churches anyday. (unless the church is a historical site of interest...or just plain cool!)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 2:58 am

Check the distance from Passau maybe you can get off rent a car in Passau and drive to Linz and board the ship there..... POSSIBILITY?
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:52 pm

IDK...
I was hoping there would be a closer stop...play it by ear maybe.

I was hoping to find some pics of the Legend being built. No can do. I emailed Viking River and asked where the ship was being built. They said

Tangermunde, Germany

I still couldn't find any pics. Must be a secret... Laughing

I got a new DVD from Netflix today called:

Visions of Germany: Along the Rhine

I'll watch it today and see if it's any good.

Murph, I sure like that River Book you suggested! (still not finished with it...but love the maps and pics!) Thanks!

Back to top Go down
Murphy
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 1:03 pm

I'm bringing it with for airplane reading this weekend! Bon Voyage to you too!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 4:52 pm

Have fun on your cruise, Pete. I'll see what I can find out about "pre" legend pictures and information.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks Lona. You can always find pictures of the progress of ships....but this one is different. I can't find anything. It's fun to watch the progress...

I'll tip one back for all you 'land-locked' people.... Drinks

Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 9:20 am

Just noticed there were lots of folks interested in this cruise last winter, but very few booked! What happened? Come sail with us! We are really nice folk!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 9:55 am

Wow...
This cruise really is the polar opposite of an ocean cruise. At first...it didn't really spark my interest. When I won it in the Membership Drive...I started studying more on river cruising.

Now, I CAN'T FRIGGIN' WAIT! This is even more exciting to me...BECAUSE it's so different!
A fantastic opportunity to see a lot of Europe...via boat. Sweeeeeet!

Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks for waking us up Susan! I for one would like to get a bigger CF presence on board. We plan to go to the Winter Riding School in Vienna. Even though it will be summer and the horses will be on vacation when we are there. Oh well, at least I won't have to watch where I step while on the tour.

Triangle Cruises
rogers@trianglecruises.com
800-784-4495
www.trianglecruises.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:32 am

Ric...are you making me ride a horse????

I gotta tell you....I'm kinda scared of horses....

Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 9:17 am

Ric, what can you do at the riding school if there aren't any horses? I need to look into some things like that as I think Ray will die of boredom after the 2nd church and or castle!!!!
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 9:51 am

Murphy wrote:
Ric, what can you do at the riding school if there aren't any horses? I need to look into some things like that as I think Ray will die of boredom after the 2nd church and or castle!!!!
The "we" in my message was actually the wife and I, I didn't mean to imply we were gonna drag everybody there, although you are welcome to come along! The school (Spanish Ridiing School) is where they train the white Lipizzaner stallions and there is a tour of the facility (and probably a musuem and gift shop). Except for summer, you can also attend the actual ballet/dressage.

Triangle Cruises
rogers@trianglecruises.com
800-784-4495
www.trianglecruises.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 10:15 am

Oh, I wasn't inviting myself! LOL! I'm just looking at all opportunities and some different things to do. I know there are walking and bus tours included at every port, but I think there will be some ports we want to head out on our own and am looking for suggestions! I really don't have a clue where to start the planning!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers - Meet Here   River Cruisers - Meet Here - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

River Cruisers - Meet Here
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Cruise Freek Group Cruises :: 2009 Group Cruises :: Viking Legend River Cruise - 14 Nights - July 19, 2009-
Jump to: