Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NJ Transit Question

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
4 Leaf Clover
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
4 Leaf Clover

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-08-15

NJ Transit Question Empty
PostSubject: NJ Transit Question   NJ Transit Question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 11:56 am

I live out in the boonies....well as boonies as NJ gets Laughing and I don't go to Manhattan much. I'm planning on booking a hotel prior to the Holiday cruise so I can join you guys in the Pre-Cruise fun. My question is about NJ transit, how and where do I get the train and am I allowed to bring luggage on the train? And does it drop me in Penn or Grand Central? My closest train station is Whitehouse if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: NJ Transit Question   NJ Transit Question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi 4 Leaf - I grew up in NJ and, I can help you out. The first thing you're going to want to do is bookmark this site:

http://www.njtransit.com

Now, as far as coming in from Whitehouse - you'll be using the Raritan Valley line. You simply go to the train station and get on the train. I'm not sure if there is a vending machine at Whitehouse or not, if there isn't, you pay for your ticket on the train. If there is a vending machine or if the station is open for ticketing, make sure you get your ticket before getting on the train or you'll be hit with a $5 surcharge.

Be advised that you'll have to switch trains in Newark. Don't worry. It's easy. You don't have to change platforms. Simply wait for the train into New York which is usually no more than a 10 minute wait. There are video monitors all over the station so you'll know exactly when your connecting train is due. If I'm remembering correctly, you'll connect with Shore Line train but, double check, since it's been a LONG time since I've used the Raritan Valley Line. (I use Midtown Direct which is the Morristown/Dover line). If you'd rather use the Midtown Direct Line, you'll have to go to Peapack, Far Hills, etc and you switch trains in Summit - don't know if you'd find that easier or not).

Luggage - I'm back and forth between the city VERY frequently and, I always have luggage in tow (including my cat on occassion - he's strange he travels well for a cat). My recommendation is to head to Manhattan during off peak hours (after 10 am and before 4pm). The trains are rarely crowded during these times but, if it does happen to be crowded, there are overhead racks for luggage storage and also, if your bags are small enough, you can slide them under the seats.

Now, once you're on a New York train, you'll be taken to Penn Station. Upon arrival at Penn, you'll head up stairs or an escalator to street level. Once you get upstairs from the trains, look for the 34th and 7th Avenue exit, take the escaltor up and if you look to your left once you're outside, you'll see a taxi stand. Note: even if the line seems impossibly long, it moves pretty fast! I also don't recommend attempting to take a subway with luggage in tow.

I hope I covered everything you've requested! If not, let me know and I'll try to give you more details!

Last edited by Admin on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com
4 Leaf Clover
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
4 Leaf Clover

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: NJ Transit Question   NJ Transit Question Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 12:21 pm

WOW!! Thanks for that detailed response Tina!! I really appreciate it!! I'll probably make a dry run just to make sure I know how to do it!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NJ Transit Question   NJ Transit Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NJ Transit Question
Page 1 of 1