Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Airports in NYC

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ian
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Ian

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Airports in NYC Empty
PostSubject: Airports in NYC   Airports in NYC Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 11:11 am

Ok you New Yorkers, which of the three airports is best for getting into Manhattan?
Back to top Go down

Airports in NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airports in NYC   Airports in NYC Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 11:31 am

Ian - I live in Staten Island so for us Newark wins hands down. LaGuardia is the closest to Manhattan (about 8 miles) BUT, it is the worst of the 3 airports. LaGuardia is well known for flight delays and other problems and, they don't handle a lot of International flights. JFK is about 15 miles from Manhattan and Newark is about 20 miles from Manhattan.

Price-wise, LaGuardia and Newark are almost always cheaper than JFK. Regardless of the airport you select, be ready for traffic and lots of it. ESPECIALLY during the holidays.

In fact, NYC is so bad during the holidays we have what is known as Gridlock Alert days. This is where the MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority) adds more trains and buses and urges people to take mass transit to help ease the congestion. Even though the airports are physically close to Manhattan, figure it's going to take about an hour to get from the airport to your hotel in Manhattan.

Hope this helps in your decision making.
Back to top Go down

Airports in NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airports in NYC   Airports in NYC Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 11:36 am

This link is going to be your best friend for New York City transportation information:

http://www.panynj.gov/COMMUTINGTRAVEL/airports/html/ewr_transportation.html
Back to top Go down

Airports in NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airports in NYC   Airports in NYC Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 11:45 am

Great link.thanks......

We have AA vouchers to use before next Feb......trying to decide where to go.......thought about NYC........My husband has never been,......Me??Im a ex Long islander.....in fact,I used to work at JFK(loved that job).........anyway,since it has been awhile,I have no clue(till now) how to get into the city......

Our only other thing is to find a reasonable priced hotel and one in the city since we'll only be there a couple of days........
Back to top Go down

Airports in NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airports in NYC   Airports in NYC Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 1:15 pm

I, personally, have always found Newark a bit easier. JFK is just too big and confusing for my taste.
Back to top Go down
Westchester Cruiser
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2007-08-09

Airports in NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airports in NYC   Airports in NYC Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 1:47 pm

I live North of NYC and Newark is also my first choice.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Ian

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-12-12

Airports in NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airports in NYC   Airports in NYC Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 2:30 pm

Thank you for all the excellent information!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Airports in NYC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airports in NYC   Airports in NYC Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Airports in NYC
Page 1 of 1