Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Plus Size

Go down 
+4
Long Island Mom
MrsMoose
plainjane83
Lorraine
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 11:55 am

I thought I'd start a thread for those of us who are a bit more curvy Wink
Back to top Go down
Lorraine
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Lorraine

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 2:13 pm

Great idea Marina, thanks for starting this thread! Not all of us are size 6 or 8!!
Back to top Go down
plainjane83
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 10:26 am

Does a size 14 count? I have recently gained weight-about 25 pounds in the last year.

I have found I am having to dress differantly-what used to look good on me-does not now that I am 2 sizes bigger. My weight gain came from meds-so I am NOT getting thinner-this is me now-as unfortunately I need the meds-and I do not have the option of going off the meds-or substituting a differant med.

I love that show What Not To Wear. Stacey and Clinton can dress plus sized women-and some of their tips I have used and found I actually look better in a 14 then I did in a 10, by following their tips.

One tip I like they have for plus sized women who have hour glass shapes (I don't-I am "boxy"-so this doesn't apply to me) is to show their hour glass shape. They will put these gals in gored skirts and fitted blouses but yet a style of blouse that does not emphasize a tummy-if they have a tummy-and these gals look GREAT!

Until recently I had only seen this on TV-but my daughter has a young friend who would wear the baggie clothes because of her weight-the girl is only 20- but she would make herself look 35 in those oversized matronly clothes.

Well I saw her the other day in a gored skirt and fitted top. This girl looked wonderful as she has the hour glass figure-(I had no idea under the baggie stuff she usually wears) and she looked as though she had dropped 50 pounds and she also looked like a young woman!

Another tip they have for the "boxy" gals-like me- is the cocktail dress in the filmy silky flow-ey material. If the gal has good boobs- they suggest one of these in a V neck, sleeveless but not spaghetti strapped-so you can still wear a bra-then fitted under the bust but then the dress flows out from there slightly-since this is your smallest area-this makes you look slimmer and helps to give the illusion of an hour glass shape.

I recently bought a dress in this style and was very pleased with how I looked in the dress.

What the show has shown me too-is we can all look better- and looking better does not mean we must starve ouselves to death-it means picking styles of clothing that make US look more attractive.
Back to top Go down

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 4:04 pm

Marina,

Thanks for starting the thread!

I'm one of those pear-shaped plus sized women. I'm currently working on losing weight (trying to eat better, exercise, etc.) and I've dropped about 30 lbs so far, but I still have 50-90 lbs to go.

So my problem is that I don't like going and spending a lot on clothes, if I'm going to lose more weight and have to buy more clothes again. Wink
Back to top Go down
plainjane83
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 9:53 am

Ivanova wrote:
Marina,

Thanks for starting the thread!

I'm one of those pear-shaped plus sized women. I'm currently working on losing weight (trying to eat better, exercise, etc.) and I've dropped about 30 lbs so far, but I still have 50-90 lbs to go.

So my problem is that I don't like going and spending a lot on clothes, if I'm going to lose more weight and have to buy more clothes again. Wink

Congrats on your weight loss Ivanova.

I think you should hit some sales and consigment shops while you are between sizes. Please DO NOT go around in clothes that are swimming on you. You worked hard for that weight loss-so you should show it off. Baggy,too big clothing just makes you look bigger-and if you are wearing that-many may not even realize you have lost 30 pounds.

I do believe, no matter what size we are-we should show ourselves off in the best light! sunny

You should check out those gored skirts-if you are pair shaped-that means your waist is small in comparision to your hips-so SHOW THAT OFF! find a fitted blouse to wear with your skirt that does not tuck in. That will give you an hourglass figure! You will be gorgeous! Smile
Back to top Go down
MrsMoose
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 18

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 12:13 pm

I too gained weight from meds. I have no choice, just as plainjane.

For me the weight is in my breast area. I always was not small but I was a size 2 - 4 way back when a 4 was a 4 now I'd probably be a 6 or 8 since 8 is the new 4 or whatever.

Anyway, there are some wonderful things out there for people who need plus size. 14 counts, Actually Marina Rinaldi starts at a 10 and is considered plus size. This is the larger size company of Max Mara.

But Dana Buchman, Lafayette 148, Ellen Tracy plus some others do plus size as well, and remember 14 is the starting point for most plus sizes.
Many of their clothing is the same or very similar to their regular size clothing.

I believe Nordstrom even carries Pagie designer jeans in plus sizes.

What looks good I think is an individual thing. If a woman is tall or short, and where here weight is, all needs to be taken into account. For example for me a shorter skirt just below the knee looks best unless I'm wearing a midcalf skirt in the fall with boots then it looks nice since I don't wear heals.

A sheath dress can be very flattering. I think it's all matter of personality too, what suits a personality should be taken into account as well as shape, height, age, etc.
Back to top Go down

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 12:24 pm

Glad there is a lot of interest in this topic! I, for one, have been battling my weight all my life and, I'm not the typical pear-shape. I carry my weight around my stomach and, finding ANYTHING flattering, whether it's pants or a dress is nearly impossible even with high end designer wear.

I think I need a session with Carson Kressley or the What Not To Wear crew to help me! lol!
Back to top Go down
plainjane83
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 12:56 pm

Curvy Gal Cruises wrote:
Glad there is a lot of interest in this topic! I, for one, have been battling my weight all my life and, I'm not the typical pear-shape. I carry my weight around my stomach and, finding ANYTHING flattering, whether it's pants or a dress is nearly impossible even with high end designer wear.

I think I need a session with Carson Kressley or the What Not To Wear crew to help me! lol!

You look beautiful from your pic-so don't worry too much about the weight gain. You can still look gorgeous!
Back to top Go down
Long Island Mom
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Long Island Mom

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 10:10 pm

Make way for another chubby Very Happy After 25 years of dieting, I have resigned myself to the fact that I will not be a size 12 or 10 or 8. I go between 14 and 16 and, you know what, that's ok. This is me!
Back to top Go down
plainjane83
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 9:14 am

Long Island Mom wrote:
Make way for another chubby Very Happy After 25 years of dieting, I have resigned myself to the fact that I will not be a size 12 or 10 or 8. I go between 14 and 16 and, you know what, that's ok. This is me!

Well you are just one size bigger then me as I am between a 12 and 14 and am buying more 14's then 12's any more.

A year ago I was between an 8 and a 10-but my health issues kept me pretty much homebound-at least now I have a life-so I will take the extra weight.

No matter your size you can look attractive as long as you dress to your body type.
Back to top Go down
Lilly
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Lilly

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-11-28

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 12:56 pm

Make room for another Very Happy I LOVE that we actually have a place to discuss plus size fashions!

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of spare $$, so, I'm always looking for bargins.
Back to top Go down
NOB
Resident Expert - Fashions
Resident Expert - Fashions
NOB

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-08-17

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 6:25 pm

Great topic Marina! And remember ladies, if anyone needs a Queer Eye opinion - I'm here for the asking!

Neil
Back to top Go down
Big Red Robyn
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Big Red Robyn

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2008-01-23

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 11:59 am

Another plus size here -

Where do you ladies shop for formal-wear?
Back to top Go down

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 3:05 pm

For formal wear I go with a cocktail dress or a pants outfit. I don't actually own anything long. I haven't had a need for a long dress other than cruising in years and I'm too cheap to buy something that I only will wear on a cruise. I've had luck finding dresses on e-bay, Nordstrom's and Macy's. I've recently been intrigued by the dresses now being offered at Ttarget.com they are now carring formal wear and wedding dresses.

But my last bargin dress was from Cold Water Creek a $119 dress for $28. I love to shop the outlet section of their website. The best part is there is no difference in their pricing between XS and plus sizes. They do go up to 3X and you can return to any of their stores.

Take a look at this dress for $22.99 it is available up to a 14

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/Products/Product.aspx?productid=38110&ensembleid=43889&Skn=outlet
Back to top Go down
Long Island Mom
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Long Island Mom

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2007-09-27

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2008 5:31 pm

I LOVE Coldwater Creek!! And you're right I've gotten some great bargins in the outlet section.
Back to top Go down
mamacruising
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
mamacruising

Registration date : 2008-05-01

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 8:53 pm

With my job,its hard to get out and walk when I want(truckdriver)...so I've gained close to 40# since I got my CDL 9 years ago.
I usually try and watch end of season clearances and stock up for whatever cruise/vacation is coming up..
And yes Cuvy Gal Cruiser I hold my weight in the middle and thighs also!!!!
I usually take a black skirt and a couple of tops to mix and match but this time I also took a black dress...black hides so well,don't you think!!!
Back to top Go down

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 12:32 am

Hi all,

another plus size checking in - Living here in Hawaii, the mu'umu'u covers a multitude of sins, but it doesn't work all that well - even the dressier ones - for formal nights! There aren't many specialty stores on our island, either, so I do most of my shopping on line, and have found Jessica London to be a good source - also, as mentioned for Coldwater Creek (also love them!) go to the clearance section. For me, the surplice cut tops are the most flattering, and J.G.Hook, featured in Jessica London, does a lot of those in multiple colors. My favorite thing about their site is that they have buyer reviews of the clothes - those have saved me from myself a few times already and are good at pointing out when the cut is roomy or too small.

I know a few people who have had good luck with formal wear purchases on Ebay, too, so that's another place to check out. Liz Claiborne also has a good plus size selection, and my 'little' black dress is from her on line store-I get a lot of floaty tops to go over it to cut down on packing weight, now that we have to travel with one checked bag and it has to be 50 lbs or under...sigh...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plus Size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plus Size   Plus Size Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plus Size
Page 1 of 1