Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

when does the upgrade fairy come?

Go down 
+4
lolomeme
Murphy
NDJollyMon
fkurzweil
8 posters
AuthorMessage

when does the upgrade fairy come? Empty
PostSubject: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 9:49 am

when you get an upgrade - ok IF you get an upgrade - do you get it after final payment is made or closer to sailing?
Back to top Go down
fkurzweil
STAFF
STAFF
fkurzweil

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 10:45 am

Depends if Ron is coming or not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 10:54 am

Pat, it's usually closer to sailing, but of course nothing is concrete with any of the cruise lines.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 2:45 pm

Never in 6 cruises for us.
I've been upgraded in category...but it's simply a different location...and not a better cabin. (not a true upgrade in my eyes)
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 2:46 pm

i've only got upgraded when i took a guarantee but actually while it was a mini-suite it didn't have a balcony and that's what i really wanted.
Back to top Go down
Murphy
Resident Expert & Charter Member
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 3:00 pm

What cruiseline are you sailing on Pat?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 3:23 pm

The upgrade happens when pigs fly WhenPigsFly I've never had one in 19 cruises.
Back to top Go down
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
lolomeme

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 3:37 pm

We have been on 18 cruises without an upgrade, yet friends we travel with sometimes have had it happen to them a couple of times!
Lois
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 3:42 pm

I've personally never been upgraded, which is why I always book the category I'll be satisfied with. I shake my head when I hear people booked inside rooms EXPECTING an upgrade (for free) to a balcony...and then they grumble about being "stuck" in an inside room for the whole cruise.

My inlaws were upgraded on our Alaska cruise. They were the only ones in our group in a junior suite (everyone else had balcony or interior). RCCL upgraded my inlaws from JS to GS (grand suite). It was the biggest waste of an upgrade ever! They never stepped foot in the Concierge Lounge or took advantage of the other suite privileges.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 4:34 pm

RCL better hurry if they are going to upgrade me. Im leaving next sunday Very Happy

I think we will like the cabin we got too and looking forward to a PR Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 4:35 pm

next sunday? oh you lucky devil LittleDevil
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 4:38 pm

oesnjstar wrote:
next sunday? oh you lucky devil LittleDevil

I know, its almost here Very Happy, can't you see me grinning from ear to ear?
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 5:35 pm

I haven't been upgraded in a really long time. Back in my early cruising days, I was fortunate to receive many upgrades. We always booked inside guarantees. The best free upgrade we received was on a Galaxy, 12 night Alaska cruise. We were upgraded from the minimum inside category to a Sky Suite- we were in heaven. Very Happy On NCL Dawn, we booked a regular balcony cabin and a few weeks before sailing, we received a call offering us a Penthouse suite for an additional $900 total- we grabbed that in a heartbeat. The more I cruise, the pickier I seem to be on cabin type and location. So we never book guarantees anymore, just book the cabin we want and that is what we get.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 5:45 pm

jane - i think i can see you grinning from ear to ear!

christine - i can't even imagine booking an inside and getting a sky suite. that is unbelievable. a friend of mine is booked on the new england trip that we are taking with jeanie beck and she booked a balcony guarantee. the price dropped about 500 cabin and princess said she could keep the balcony guarantee at the cheaper price or leave the price and take a mini suite. she said she'll keep the guarantee. who knows they may upgrade her anyway in the end.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Pat- Let me tell you, it was a great upgrade. And we had no idea until we got in our inside cabin and saw another couple's name on a letter. We tried to call guest services to straighten it out, but the line was busy. We decided to just head up to guest services, and brought all of our carry-on luggage with us in case the other couple came to the cabin. After waiting in line, we were told that we were upgraded to the sky deck. I was thinking it was an inside on the sky deck which I was very happy about- closer to the action than the bottom deck we were originally on. We got new cards and headed up to our new cabin. Imagine our shock when we discovered that our new cabin was a suite, with huge balcony, jetted tub, champagne, flowers, butler Shocked

Your friend has a good chance of being upgraded. Princess does it all the time. My mother was recently upgraded to a mini with them. I will keep my fingers crossed for her Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 6:10 pm

Jane...I'm envious..another cruise for you.

I've only had one upgrade, from the lowest oceanview to a balcony (cat 5 I think) on Disney. It was nice but we weren't in our room much
Back to top Go down
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Adirondack Pete

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 9:03 pm

We were upgrade from Caronia to Princess Grill on our first Cunard.
That was our 5th cruise ever I Guess that luck won't hold out for
long.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 11:23 pm

You did not say which cruiseline or what category you booked. Some lines are more open to upgrades than others. For example, RCCL normally never upgrades unless you book a guarantee. If you book a cabin assignment, make sure that this is the cabin that you want it is most likely the one you will get. Princess has an option at booking about upgrades. They are very upgrade friendly. As I said, each cruise line is different.

Vickie
Back to top Go down
mpg1226
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
mpg1226

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 9:06 am

Princess and Holland America will actually offer an upgrade even if you have taken a cabin assignment. They will ask travel agents upon booking if our clients would like a complimentary upgrade and if we agree, they will note the reservation. There are many times when I decline this options- particularly if the clients have chosen the cabin due to the location or promximity to their traveling companions cabins, etc.

I did have a family of 3 on the Serenade for the Seas book an oceanview cabin and upon embarkation, they were upgraded to a balcony. They were thrilled and now will never sail in less than a balcony. That was a first for Royal Caribbean. I never had clients in an assigned cabin get upgraded before on Royal.

In answer to the original question, IF any upgrades are going to happen, it would probably be very close to the sail date.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvacationlady.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: when does the upgrade fairy come?   when does the upgrade fairy come? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

when does the upgrade fairy come?
Page 1 of 1