Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Saving Tips for Future Cruises

Go down 
+8
taurus988
NDJollyMon
UtahCouple
dream2cruise
lordoftime
NDDad
Adirondack Pete
JJ2sail
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Penny,

I don't bash Canadians (have considered moving there after a couple of our presidential elections) ... it's the Queen's English that gets to me sometimes (so Canadians, Brits, South Africans, Aussies, etc.) Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Susan...I just didnt want anything to start...once someone starts others get going. It sounded like it was going that way. There are lots of canadians on this board. Nipping it before it started....so to say Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 3:42 pm

nip away Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 3:46 pm

Ivanova wrote:
nip away Wink

I'm dieting...cant nip too much! lol!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 5:36 pm

I bet most of the people on Emerald Princess were Canadian.
I thought the weather sucked here....must be worse up there! (I doubt it)

Is Canadian Bacon really Canadian?
Looks like ham to me....
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 5:42 pm

Oh, I forgot my money saving tips....

1. Save. I have payroll deductions to a cruise account. I cruise more often than my account allows...but it helps. Then I whip out the 'magic credit card" and work harder to pay it down. Then another cruise comes along...and wipes out my pay-off plan! DANG!

2. Shop for last minute deals if you can. This doesn't work well for us, because flight costs usually rise for last minute buys. If you are close to ports, and can leave on short notice...you are ahead of the game.

3. Book group cruises. You can find some great ones here, they come with 'built in friends', have cool amenities included...and are usually a great deal. Strength in numbers....

4. Sell things you don't need around....like the others said.

5. Each time I get a raise in pay....I put more in my savings.

Well, there are a couple tips.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 5:50 pm

Pete...some parts of northern canada are worse than ND. I remember going up james bay coast for work....it was FREEEEEZING......

Welcome back Pete! I see you are catching up and adding your TwoCents on all the posts!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 6:06 pm

penny - you need to try to set up a group leader and get it for free.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 6:08 pm

oesnjstar wrote:

Problem is it's hard to get everyone who wants to go at the same time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 6:09 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
oesnjstar wrote:

that's always the challenge....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Ivanova wrote:
mnmomof4 wrote:
oesnjstar wrote:

that's always the challenge....

Yes...time and money seem to be the challenge lately for everyone
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 7:09 pm

oh i know. you pick an itinerary and a ship and then you look at bingo there is a conflict at the same time. so then you try it again and bingo - same problem. or people are going the month before and just isn't enough time to go on yours. we all need to hit the lottery.
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 7:54 pm

I'll second that, Pat.
Maybe we should all pool our $$...virtually, of course...and buy lottery tickets from the different places we live?

Say we have a pool of 20 people...each person plays $20.00 in their state lottery.....and we'll all win, if anyone wins. Gives us all a share on 400 chances...instead of 20.

Who's in? Honest only need participate - you KNOW we'd find out if you win & keep it all for yourself! (by the sudden # of cruises booked!)

Lottery roster:
1) Pamela (taurus988) NY state lottery.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 8:25 pm

2) pat shouldice (oesnjstar) nj pick 6
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 8:26 pm

we have 2 drawing per week. could do $10 on monday and $10 on thursday
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Lotteries   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 8:59 pm

taurus988 wrote:
I'll second that, Pat.
Maybe we should all pool our $$...virtually, of course...and buy lottery tickets from the different places we live?

Who's in? Honest only need participate - you KNOW we'd find out if you win & keep it all for yourself! (by the sudden # of cruises booked!)

Lottery roster:
1) Pamela (taurus988) NY state lottery.

Hmmmmmmmm - I guess I'm in for Powerball in Wisconsin. I'll do the $10.00 twice.

Dan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:07 pm

dan - don't you have a state lottery? we have mega millions which pays more than the state lottery now that you mention it. so it's up to you guys if you want me to play state lottery or mega millions. soon as our group is in place we can discuss it.

pamela - want to give it till next friday for everyone who wants in to be in? what do you want to do?
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:15 pm

oesnjstar wrote:
dan - don't you have a state lottery? we have mega millions which pays more than the state lottery now that you mention it. so it's up to you guys if you want me to play state lottery or mega millions. soon as our group is in place we can discuss it.

pamela - want to give it till next friday for everyone who wants in to be in? what do you want to do?

That sounds like a good idea, Pat. ... We'll wait till next Friday.
We also have twice a week state...could do $10 in each day.

We are also in the mega.
So we will need to vote on that as well.
Should we take photos of our lottery tickets & post them?
Since we're all so digitally savy? lol

This is going to be FUN!! and hopefully prosperous.
We will need to have a plan on what to do with winnings....suggestions welcome..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:39 pm

we can scan and post the ticket
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:02 pm

We have Powerball in PA. I'm in.

Who came up with this idea - create a new post and see who wants to get involved.

It will be for next week. You must post the tickets to qualify.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:40 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
Susan...I just didnt want anything to start...once someone starts others get going. It sounded like it was going that way. There are lots of canadians on this board. Nipping it before it started....so to say Very Happy

So I go to work today and not visit these boards and miss all the Canada bashing. Laughing Bashing can't break the spirit of us Canadians. But thanks for stopping the bashing before it got going. I know it would have been all in good fun.

BTW ... we have a lottery this Saturday that is going for $48Million. Perhaps I will win and take all of you on a cruise. bounce
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:18 am

no one answered my Canadian Bacon question....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:34 am

NDJollyMon wrote:
no one answered my Canadian Bacon question....

Hey Pete,

Canadian Bacon is also known as Canadian Back Bacon or Peameal Bacon. Yes, it is much more like ham as it is much leaner than regular bacon. I found this explanation about Canadian Bacon from the website foodreference.com:

Canadian bacon is made the rib-eye of the pork loin. In the U.S. bacon is made from pork bellies.
Though the name may be a bit misleading, Canadian-style bacon, is closer kin to ham than to regular bacon. Canadian-style bacon is fully-cooked, smoked pork loin that comes from the lean, tender eye of the loin, which is located in the middle of the back.

The following will provide a greater insight of the origins of Canadian Bacon:

The Canadian Bacon story
Around the turn of the last century (or as they say, "during the war years"), England had a pork shortage. They imported side bacon from Canada, smoked it and termed it "Wiltshire Sides" in England. Due to this event Canadian bacon was made famous. Over time the United States believed that Canadian bacon was smoked back bacon although true Canadian bacon is not smoked. Our Canadian product is classified by the USDA as uncooked Canadian bacon and is Canadian #1 peameal back bacon.

The bottom line is that Canadian Bacon is yummy and is great on a hamburger, in a grilled cheese or with your morning eggs ...
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:26 am

Livabeth wrote:

The bottom line is that Canadian Bacon is yummy and is great on a hamburger, in a grilled cheese or with your morning eggs ...

It's good on pizza too!
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 am

my husband eats those hawaiian pizzas. canadian bacon and pineapple. it is the nastiest looking thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saving Tips for Future Cruises   Saving Tips for Future Cruises - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saving Tips for Future Cruises
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next