Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-09-20

QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Empty
PostSubject: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 5:37 pm

The QM2 is in the port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) today. Anyone planning to venture out to see her? I'll be making my pilgramige later today, about 3 PM giving me time to take some photos and watch her sail off.

QM2 will not be back in LA next year as next year she is doing an Eastbound World Cruise and will instead sail around Africa and cross the Atlantic to Brazil.

This is QM2's second visit here. Well, ok, technically it is her 4th. Back in 2006 she arrived from South America after sailing around Cape Horn and the incident in Ft. Lauderdale. She then left for a RT 3-day Ensenada cruise and a RT 15-day Hawaiian cruise. She finally came back in and sailied out south towards South America and home to NYC. So she did stop in 3 times in quick sucession in 2006. So this is her first visit back since then! Last time she skipped LA and just went up to SF!

In any event, I'll have photos up later today or tomorrow! Let me know if anyone plans to go down.
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:42 pm

Thanks, would love to see pictures!

I saw that she was in port on the Cunard webcam, but it doesn't show much.

http://www.cunard.com/ourships/default.asp?ship=QM2
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:12 pm

Yes, I have been watching it all day. The ship is facing South West in the channel of the port so when she sails out she'll not have to turn and manuver in the narrow channel.

When we sailed in on her in 2006 from Chile we entered the port backwards so she could sail out directly.

I am glad they do this. When QE2 sailed out for her final sailing last year, she sailed out BACKWARDS! It was horrible! I could not understand why they didn't turn her around or sail in reverse on arrival. All my photos look like she is arriving! Also, the video is rather off of the QE2 sailing out in reverse. Sad way for a grand lady to have said good bye to Los Angeles.

But this one will be different. When she sails off she'll sail out proudly and forward!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:18 pm

Looking forward to any photos you can post and share with us!! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:48 pm

Will do!
QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? QueenVicLA109
Queen Vic LA 1.09

In the mean time, check out my pics from the Queen Victoria last month!

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 7:17 am

As promised, here are some photos of QM2's visit to the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro, CA on 10 February, 2009. QM2 pulled away at about 17:12. Destination: Hawaii!

It was a terrific clear evening with a blue, cloudless sky and crisp air.

Picture perfect!

Enjoy!
QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? QM2LA209
QM2 LA 2.09
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:06 am

If I still lived in So Calif I'd be there! I was able to be there her FIRST time in 2006 and was even able to do a ship inspection while she was in port.
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks Phillip!

very nice!
Back to top Go down
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-08-12

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 8:17 pm

We were there! What a wonderful day! Spent the night aboard my favorite Mary which, as always, was wonderful I love you. How great to see 2 Marys on the same day. We could even see the QM2 from Mary, very cool! Once I get my photos down loaded I'll post a link.
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Love to see them. Where were you? The area was pretty quiet and deserted when I was walking around. I was down there between 4-5 PM. First out by the Catalina Express area to take photos of the stern. Then went to the park along the railroad tracks. After she was underway, I drove down to the Cabrillo Park at the tip of San Pedro and that's where you could really see her in all her glory. It was a terrific evening!

I was actually stopped by a Security Officer telling me I was not allowed to take photos of the QM2 because it was in port and the port is considered to be a high terrorist security area. I was shocked! NO PHOTOS? I was on the sidewalk of a public street. I need to find out more about this from the City of San Pedro. Does anyone know about this rule/ law?

I hope my photos don't end up getting me in trouble! Shocked I'll have to start a fund on the boards to bail me out if they do!
Back to top Go down
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 8:53 pm

We parked over at the Lane Victory but our friends parked inside the terminal parking. We made our way up to where the QM2 was docked and also was told not to take photos by one of the lady guards but we all still did. Around 4:30 we went down to Warehouse 1, It was a great place to see her come down and pass right by us, quite close. They even sounded her whistles for us, it was so cool! I'm sorry I didn't see your post before we headed down to SoCal.

Betsy
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 3:40 am

No worries. I am sure there will be other occasions... Great to meet you. Where are you coming down? Do you live up in Northern California? How amazing for you to come down just to see her! Hats off to you for that! And my friends think I am nuts to drive an hour in traffic for it.

Can't wait to see your photos!
Back to top Go down
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 2:17 pm

We live just pasted Sacramento. We get down to Long Beach at least once or twice a year to visit Mary. I worked aboard her in the 80's and fell hopelessly in love with her. We flew down for the day when the QM2 stopped by to say hi to her in 2006, now that's NUTS Very Happy but what an amazing day that was.
I hope to get my photos uploaded this weekend.
Betsy
Back to top Go down
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 am

Here's a few photos from last week with Mary and Mary I love you
Betsy

https://s421.photobucket.com/albums/pp295/QM534/Mary%20and%20Mary%202009/?albumview=grid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:15 am

Love the pictures. We visited the Queen Mary before our cruise last April. We were never able to talk my father in law into taking another cruise after he had cruised on the original Queen Mary. He didn't like the itinerary for his cruises, to and from Europe for service during WWII.
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Terrific photos from the Queen Mary and the QM2 visit. seems like you had a great trip down!

Thanks so much for sharing! Now I want to go down to Long Beach and stay on the QM myself!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:55 pm

Thanks for the photos! You're making me homesick for QM2 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 8:43 pm

Barbee524 wrote:
Love the pictures. We visited the Queen Mary before our cruise last April. We were never able to talk my father in law into taking another cruise after he had cruised on the original Queen Mary. He didn't like the itinerary for his cruises, to and from Europe for service during WWII.

With 15 or 16 thousand other GI's I bet it was a very miserable voyage for your father-in-law.

I hope you enjoyed your stay aboard Mary.
Betsy
Back to top Go down
Cruise Liner Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:06 pm

I know I did post this link to the picture of the 2 Marys on this forum.But here is that same link to the same picture of 2 Marys http://63.217.28.3/images/news/news_cu_qm_qm2.jpg Regards,Jerry
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?   QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QM2 in Los Angeles TODAY 10 Feb. '09 - Anyone going?
Page 1 of 1