Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Age for 1st time Disney

Go down 
+2
Greta
HelenB
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:18 pm

Yes, small world isn't it? My hubby use to be nuclear- when he was in the Navy. Now he is control room operator at a coal to steam power plant.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:25 pm

Wow...where was your hubby based.....my hubby retired in 2002 after 24 year in nuclear subs...hubby was based in Norfolk most of the time. When he was supervisor...he liked to hire navy people...he liked their work ethics. He makes more money now than he ever did in the Naby...that's pretty sad.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:32 pm

My hubby was stationed out on the west coast- San Francisco and Bremerton, WA. He was on a nuclear guided missle cruiser, USS California. He was in for 8 years. We have friends that were down in Norfolk for awhile (on sub) as was my brother-in-law who recently retired from the Navy- he was in air division though. There are a lot of ex-nucs at hubby's plant. They like to stick together lol. Yes, the pay is sad but my brother-in-law was doing pretty well for himself before he retired and now he has a great job at an airport as a maintainence supervisor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:41 pm

I'm sure our hubby's probably know the same people. Hubby was on quite a few different subs and the last 4 years he was on shore duty. In a few years...when the 2nd on is off the college...we will move I think...he has been getting offers all over the place.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Good for him, Penny. Any idea of what area would you like to move to?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:48 pm

I would like to move to warmer climates....We are probably older than you....so we are thinking ahead to retirement. We decided we want to be near a nuke plant so that after he retires he can still do contract work during outages..they currently pay close to $100 per hour for outage contractors. WE dont need medical since that was a perk or retirement. He has offers in arizona and columbia valley in WA. I like hutchinson island in Florida. We have tons of options....just have to see what happens with everyone
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Wow, that sounds exciting to have so many options open Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 1:04 pm

Yes...just have to get the older 2 off to college....not an easy task these days!!! My oldest will start college at 17...and he keeps changing his mind what he wants to do. My kids have the option of going to school in Ontario since I'm from there and my family is still there. You have some amazing cruises booked...I was looking at them the other day but they dont really work for us date wise. I cant wait to get out 2010 calendar so we can plan our cruises. I like to go in oct since its cheaper but that is football season....so we can only do a short cruise. I will probably have to wait for spring break
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 1:18 pm

Your son is young and has time to decide. Kids usually end up changing their minds a bunch of times along the way anyhow lol. As for our cruises, we usually don't plan that far out. I like booking 6-9 months prior but since the Oasis was kind of special and we have been talking about it for awhile, we booked as soon as RCI opened reservations. I like cruising in the fall too. I would love to do the Zoo Crew Mystery Cruise out of Bayonne with you guys but it is too soon after the Oasis. I prefer to cruise out of NY/NJ because it is so much easier than flying. I will get on one of these Freek cruises soon lol. Maybe, we will end up on one together someday. I know our hubbys would have a lot in common Smile Tell me about your Crystal Cruise. I am SO jealous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 2:12 pm

Christine,

We do have lots in common...you work as a litigation manager and I'm an attorney. I gave up my practice after #4 came along. We wanted to make sure someone was home when the older boys got home so they couldnt get in trouble and of course we wanted someone home for the little ones. I have basically been a chauffeur for the older boys....always some activity after school and my youngest son needed in home speech therapy along with other stuff...that kept me busy 3 days a week. I couldnt work with those commitments. I work on occassion...helping friends out but that's about it. So we are learning to survive on one income and trying to figure out how to cruise and travel. 6 airfares gets to be expensive. You are fortunate to be within driving distance of a port. Too bad you cant do the Zoo crew...I thinking that will be an awesome sailing. Cancel your 2nd oasis and join us!! lol! Crystal should be interesting....just hope it will be okay for the kids.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 2:58 pm

I am sure 4 kids keeps you very, very busy. I give you all the credit in the world. I have a hard enough time balancing just 1 kid's schedule lol. My son had developmental delays when he was younger and needed speech, OT and PT so I know what that is like. I wish we could do the Zoo Crew but hubby is not allowed to take vacation time from the week before Christmas until New Year's unfortunately. Really puts a crimp in my vacation plans lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Wow..that is exactly the stuff I had 2 do with my son....All those activities keep you busy and then working with him. He actually has a CP diagnosis....so we have some issues to deal with. Hopefully by the time he starts kindergarden you wont know he has special needs. It was really hard putting my 3 year old on the bus to school as soon as he turned 3....since he needed speech and special ed. So now I have to be home at 1 and 4:30....it gets hard since my oldest usually needs to be picked at 5 from weight training. I wonder why your power plant doesnt allow the time off. We only have restriction on time off during outages. Our youngest was born during the outage...so he only took 2 days off. If I have court...then it's really hard to fit it all in...figure out how to get everyone where they need to be. Vacations are really important to me...to de-stress...so I'm anious to plan my next cruise...and figure out how we will pay for it bounce
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:00 pm

My....aren't we girls chatty this morning! Laughing

You know you both want to book a FREEKS GROUP CRUISE TOGETHER....so step up!
That dang mouse is over-rated anyway.... What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:08 pm

My son was initially diagnosed with autism when he was 2 1/2 and we worked very, very hard so that by the time he was ready for kindergarten, he was able to be in a typical class most of the day with just pull out for therapy and writing. He has made great strides and is doing well in school. I credit it all to the work we (and the therapists and teachers) did with him when he was younger. Eventually his dx was "bumped up" to PDD and now, most people don't notice anything different about him.

I bet it was really hard to put your 3 y.o. on the bus for the first time. You just want to protect them so much Smile

I live for vacations too. My son actually started speaking when we were in Disney lol and he always seems to make great gains when we are away. I guess the de-stressing helps the kiddies too. As for the plant, they have crazy time-off rules. No time off allowed during outages, easter week, thanksgiving week and christmas/new years. It really stinks lol/
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:09 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
My....aren't we girls chatty this morning! Laughing

You know you both want to book a FREEKS GROUP CRUISE TOGETHER....so step up!
That dang mouse is over-rated anyway.... What a Face

Yes, Pete, the mouse is overrated but we try to get there once every few years anyway- many, many cruises in between Disney trips. Disneyworld has a special place in my heart because I got married there.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:13 pm

I see. I should go there one day. Maybe I'll take my granddaughter....
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:18 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
I see. I should go there one day. Maybe I'll take my granddaughter....

Yes you should Smile She would love it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Pete..you are a big kid at heart so take your granddaughter...she will love it....all little girls love princesses....but watch your wallet.....expensive!!

Hey....maybe we should all do the cruise freek disney cruise!

Christine...sounds like your son has done great...I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my son. Where specifically did you get married on site? Lots of family with you? I just picked up a bunch of books from the library for WDW...hope to get my hubby excited about it!

Arent you taking a cruise over thanksgiving? How does that work with hubby's work schedule?
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:36 pm

I am game for a Disney Cruise Freek cruise Smile Hubby and I were on Disney Magic's inaugural (pre-son). Our son has not sailed Disney yet.

We got married at the Wilderness Lodge- it was a small ceremony/dinner with just a few family members present. It was great and stress-free. I was a 1L at the time. Disney wedding coordinator handled everything.

Yes we are cruising this Thanksgiving- first time away for a holiday lol. With my husband's schedule, he gets a week off every four weeks and his week off happens to fall the week of Thanksgiving this year. Unfortunately, he is scheduled to go back on nightshift the day after Thanksgiving and they are giving him a hard time about taking it off. He has to find his own coverage which I am hoping won't be too hard since it isn't on the holiday itself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:47 pm

Sounds like a nice wedding ceremony....did you finish law school?

This year's outage scares me...he might be on night shift and our house is way too small....so I'm not sure how he will do it. He has a reverse commute but if he's on nights it will be a commute in traffic...so instead of 45 mins each way..who knows? We've been lucky he hasnt done night shift in years.

I've never done an inaugural sailing...someday I hope
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:54 pm

No, I was offered a nice job during my first year and decided to leave. I wasn't sure that I wanted to be in law school as it was and with student loans piling up, the money was appealing lol. I always said I could go back, but that never happened. And now I am doing the work of an attorney without getting paid as much lol.

My husband shift rotates from days to nights constantly. It is rough on him, especially as he gets older.

Inaugurals are fun but sometimes there are a lot of kinks too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 5:06 pm

Believe me...you didnt miss much by not finishing...it's overated TwoCents I didnt want to work all those hours so I went out on my own...I did all the field trips....volunteered..did destination imagination....about 10 hours per week at the school. Being a mom comes first.

My husband didnt take another job at a different plant much closer to home since he didnt want rotating shifts.

Inaugurals also are more money.

When do you leave for FL....must be soon. I fly in the 28th.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Sounds like you are a great mom and clearly know what comes first.

Yes inaugurals are more money. Usually not worth it in my opinion.

We leave for FL next Wednesday. We will be there 2/11 through 2/18.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 5:14 pm

I was just reading in the disney book....your president's week is peak time. My first week of march is less busy...but not the least busy. AT least you are there for valentine's day! Are you doing any character breakfast? They sure went up in price.....$23 for chef mickey for adults
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 5:20 pm

I know Sad This is the first time we are doing Disney during a peak time. We usually go Sept/Oct or Jan. We are doing character breakfasts at Chef Mickeys and Ohana. We are doing a character dinner at Garden Grill in Epcot. We are also doing Hoop Dee Doo one night. Yes, Valentine's Day should be nice. We are having dinner at Yachtman's and then seeing Cirque du Soliel show at Downtown Disney. Meals are very expensive which is why we opted for dining plan (which isn't cheap either lol).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Age for 1st time Disney   Age for 1st time Disney - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Age for 1st time Disney
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next