Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09

Go down 
+3
NDJollyMon
mytee4ever
Hopeful Henry
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Hopeful Henry
Host
Host
Hopeful Henry

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2007-08-10

Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Empty
PostSubject: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Issued by The National Weather Service
New York City, NY

4:13 am EST, Tue., Jan. 27, 2009

... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER
ADVISORY FOR SNOW... SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM
MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE AREA AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT... AND COULD
BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES DURING THE WEDNESDAY MORNING COMMUTE. SNOW
ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE DURING THIS TIME... WITH 2
TO 4 INCHES POSSIBLE ALONG THE COAST. WARMER AIR ALOFT WILL MOVE INTO
THE AREA BEGINNING LATE WEDNESDAY MORNING... BUT TEMPERATURES WILL
REMAIN BELOW FREEZING LATE WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY
AFTERNOON. THIS WILL ALLOW FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF SLEET AND FREEZING
RAIN... WITH UP TO ONE TENTH OF AN INCH OF ICE POSSIBLE DURING THIS
TIME. TEMPERATURES WILL WARM ABOVE FREEZING DURING THE AFTERNOON...
ALLOWING PRECIPITATION TO CHANGE OVER TO PLAIN RAIN BEFORE TAPERING OFF
BY MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW... SLEET... OR FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES... AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

More Information

... SIGNIFICANT SNOW AND ICE POSSIBLE LATE TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING...

LOW PRESSURE DEEPENING OVER THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY WILL MOVE
TOWARDS THE TENNESSEE RIVER VALLEY BY THIS EVENING... AND THEN OVER THE
SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS BY WEDNESDAY MORNING. THIS LOW WILL SLOWLY TRACK
JUST SOUTH OF LONG ISLAND WEDNESDAY EVENING BEFORE PASSING OVER CAPE
COD AFTER MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THIS SYSTEM WILL BRING SIGNIFICANT
WINTRY WEATHER LATE TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:56 pm

I know, I live in southern upstate finger lakes area, calling for 10 inches by tomorrow. I hope that grounhog has some good news for us next week..... :coldout:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:00 pm

I'm with you Jackie! Enough of winter, let spring begin! I know, I know wishful thinking, it is only January
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:35 pm

No Nick, it's not!
There is some hope. I went to the local Grocery, and there were Daffodils!! And Crocus's!
I can hear the sound of Harley Davidsons in the near future, hooray!

o.k. maybe wishful thinking on my part Wink
Back to top Go down
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Waiting for snow here too. Hoping it starts soon, so I don't have to go to work this evening!

Towanda
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:41 pm

they say only rain for the shore so we'll miss it again. as long as my ship leaves on sunday i don't care what it does.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Towanda, they're saying it should start here in NYC between 4pm and 6pm, so, I would imagine it will be between 2pm and 4pm down your way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Hey Towanda,
Are you are supposed to be getting some ice with that too? I hope it doesn't get too bad, just bad enough to call in.. Wink

Pat, have a great trip!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 3:26 pm

mytee4ever wrote:
Waiting for snow here too. Hoping it starts soon, so I don't have to go to work this evening!

Towanda

Wow! You don't have to go to work when it snows???? Where do I sign up? cheers
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
dream2cruise
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
dream2cruise

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 4:25 pm

i wnat to sign up too.

if you want to feel like its summer, go to the shoe stores, they hane summer sandals already
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 7:34 pm

Aurea,

That is what I do when sick of the weather. I just got my Spring/summer JC Penney Catalog, and flip through the new bathing suits. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ATV_Road_Rash
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ATV_Road_Rash

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 11:01 pm

mytee4ever wrote:

Towanda

Sign me up too! I could use 3-5 months out of the year off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 9:38 am

it's 7:30 am and i'm at work - got a little snow and now it's just rain. couldn't have used a day off to recuperate from this damned cold i got.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 11:03 am

ugh,ugh,ugh,

Potential for major storm on East Coast on Groundhog day, of all days!

So a little history of Groundhog Day....

The legend of Groundhog Day is founded on an old Scottish couplet or saying:

"If Candlesmas Day is bright and clear, There'll be two winters in the year." (mine was snowy)

Current legend goes as this....

"If the Groundhog sees his shadow, it means six more weeks of winter. If he does not see his shadow, it means spring is just around the corner."

So if the weather people are correct, and the little bugger doesn't see his shadow, could Spring be just around the corner? We can only hope !
Back to top Go down
ndmomof4
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ndmomof4

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 11:57 am

For us here in ND and MN spring isnt ever just around the corner ecspecially when we have THIS much snow it may be melted by say the 4th of July!!!!! :coldout:
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 12:28 pm

cruzinmama wrote:
ugh,ugh,ugh,

Potential for major storm on East Coast on Groundhog day, of all days!

I'm on a flight out of BWI for St. Petersburg, FL on Monday afternoon. Hopefully it will be gone before the storm gets here. I come back to BWI on Thursday evening. Hopefully the snow will be all melted by then.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 12:59 pm

Steve, I think you will have no problems on Monday. It's not supposed to arrive here(east coast) until Tuesday night & Weds. Morning.

Safe travels to you. :flying:
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 1:05 pm

cruzinmama wrote:
Steve, I think you will have no problems on Monday. It's not supposed to arrive here(east coast) until Tuesday night & Weds. Morning.

Safe travels to you. :flying:

On WTOP in DC this morning they were hinting about Monday night into Tuesday morning.

If there is one thing I have learned about the weather in Maryland is that if you don't like the forecast, wait 5 minutes, it will be different.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Hey thats what we say about upstate NY!

Here is a link to the video on accuweather where they are talking 12-18 inches on the west side of the Appalachians. Pittsburg, Buffalo, Syracuse. Looks like Michele is getting out of town just in time! And I will be breaking out my funny looking shovels.. Wink

http://www.accuweather.com/news-top-headline.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&date=2009-01-29_07:28
Back to top Go down
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 7:55 pm

Didn't start here the other night until around 7 & it was very light snow. By the time we left work at 9:15 it was snowing pretty hard & a lot of the streets were snow covered! It changed to freezing rain by the morning & schools were closed, including the university where dh works. Me in my lowly retail world still had to go to work. That's okay, the hubby got to stay home with the kids! LOL! It was just rain by the time I went to work (10am). Of course it froze again overnight & the kids had a 2 hour delay. Fortunately, no down power lines or anything like that around here.

Towanda
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09   Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter Weather Advisory for NYC Tri-State Area 01/27/09
Page 1 of 1