Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Empty
PostSubject: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 9:21 am

Well, it looks like winter is about to spew fresh artic air over the US this week-end. Fresh arctic air diving southward from Canada will linger over the nation's northern tier next week, but will ease over the South. The imaginary line separating the two distinctly different air masses will provide a path for storms to travel from the Plains to the Eastern Seaboard.

The storms will initially impact the West. Snow, ice and rain will threaten places east of the Rockies as the storms, or pieces of them, depart the West. Severe thunderstorms could target the South if the right ingredients come together.

The first storm to cross the country returned much-needed rain to California and neighboring states Wednesday night into Thursday. Tonight, the system will enhance rain along a cold front sweeping through the South.

A piece of a storm churning offshore of California will have more of an impact in terms of snow east of the Rockies. Significant snow will fall east of the Continental Divide from southern Montana to western Nebraska late Saturday into Monday.

Six to twelve inches of snow during this time will accumulate over Casper, Cheyenne and Scottsbluff. Lengthy delays are likely at area airports, while slow travel or road closures could impact motorists on Interstates 25 and 80.

A band of light snow will streak eastward into Iowa on Sunday. The zone of snow will then drop southward over the rest of the central Plains on Monday. The southern fringe of the snow could fall as ice, creating slippery conditions in the cities of Wichita, Springfield and St. Louis.

The snow and ice could cause more problems from the central Plains to the Ohio Valley on Tuesday before potentially spreading into the Northeast on Wednesday. :coldout:
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 11:33 am

what are you....the weather reporter now??
Thanks for the icy forecast!
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 11:38 am

Sorry... just wanted to give a heads up for people traveling in the near future.Not liking it, thats for sure.

~Jackie
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 11:49 am

Jackie...do you think you can change the weather for us???
I'll take something....hmmmmmm...where I can't see my breath? :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 12:01 pm

Pete,

If only! I can't even imagine how cold it is where you live. There is nothing I would love more than for this stuff to start heading north where it all came from ( sorry Canada) My bike is lonely. Cool

~Jackie

Accuweather has hinted at a warm-up in a couple of weeks. I hope they are right.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 12:04 pm

The weather.
That's a major reason for us LOVING winter cruises! It gives us a little escape...even though temporary...and keeps our spirits up.
Back to top Go down
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
lolomeme

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 12:07 pm

I wish all you "Northerners" would turn your fans around and have them face the North! There has been entirely too much cold down here in sunny FL this week! Enough is enough!
Lois

Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Event

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 12:10 pm

We have always cruised in April. Coming back to 40's & 50's after 90's was a little harsh. The Holiday cruise will be the first time coming back to winter. Maybe that will help break up the dreary winter months. Has your travel plans ever been deviated , especially from your location, during your travels in the winter?

~Jackie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 12:12 pm

Lois,

My Dad just flew down to Naples, and he wasn't real happy seeing the cold air filtering down that way! I hope you warm up soon. That is the way Florida should be!

~Jackie
Back to top Go down
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
lolomeme

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks Jackie,

They said the weekend should be better! I sure hope so! I have had enough of winter this year! Hope your Dad has a good time in Naples.

Lois

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 12:26 pm

Lois,

I thank you on behalf of Dad. I am sure he is enjoying himself down there. Better there than here anyway! I hope the weather improves for all of you, enjoy your week-end. Very Happy

~Jackie
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 12:26 pm

It's funny...
I flew all the way to Florida for a cruise once...and Florida was having RECORD cold that winter. I remember riding around on an airboat in the Everglades....and everyone was freezing, and miserable.

Hell, I thought it was nice out...and gave my jacket to the shivering folks that underestimated Mother Nature that day!

We'll be in southern Florida in a couple weeks...maybe Mother Nature is just paving the way for me.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
lolomeme

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 12:54 pm

They said the weather is going to warm up Pete, so it should be fine. It really is only cold during the night, usually always warms up during the day!
Lois

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95   Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snow, Ice Threats from the Plains to I-95
Page 1 of 1