Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

dont like flying, cruise out of new york

Go down 
+6
NDJollyMon
RKlein
cruizer7
flowers
thevacationstop
oldmonmouth
10 posters
AuthorMessage
oldmonmouth

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-17

dont like flying, cruise out of new york Empty
PostSubject: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 11:19 pm

don't like flying and hate the airport hassle after a great vacation, are the cruises out of ny good
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 11:22 pm

hal is that you? i haven't talked to you in a dog's age. i love to cruise out of bayonne. this august will be my first cruise out of brooklyn on princess and i have cruised out of philadelphia too. philadelphia was very easy. pat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 12:51 am

Welcome to CF!!

Yes, there are cruises out of NY and other ports within driving distance.
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:22 am

I've been on the QM2 out of NY, and that was great, not good. There are also cruises out of Baltimore, which is only a few hours drive for you.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 1:18 pm

thevacationstop wrote:
I've been on the QM2 out of NY, and that was great, not good. There are also cruises out of Baltimore, which is only a few hours drive for you.

What didn't you like about the QM2 out of NYC? (as I'm going to do that cruise myself, wondering minds want to know).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 1:22 pm

He that was GREAT, not good. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 1:37 pm

you know i have seen baltimore and it is only about 3 hours or so drive for me and was thinking about considering it
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 2:46 pm

flowers wrote:
thevacationstop wrote:

What didn't you like about the QM2 out of NYC? (as I'm going to do that cruise myself, wondering minds want to know).

I did like it. I said it was Great! That is better than good.

The only thing I would change is the selections for dining. There are definitely 2 classes when in comes to dining. While the food in Britannia is good, the selections don't compare to the Grills.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 6:08 pm

thevacationstop wrote:
flowers wrote:
thevacationstop wrote:

The only thing I would change is the selections for dining. There are definitely 2 classes when in comes to dining. While the food in Britannia is good, the selections don't compare to the Grills.

Ohhhhh!!! Very Happy Good to hear. I doubt I will starve to death. Every cruiseline Iv been on served me more than twice the meat that Im used to eating or more. Im sure QM2 serves just as much food to everyone. Do they have a buffet area like other ships where you can go grab a late night dessert if you eat early dinner? I read something about the buffet area and you have to sign up ahead of time for kings something, which seems to be part of the buffet. Are there places you can just walk in.... or even grab a piece of pizza late at night?
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 6:14 pm

flowers wrote:
thevacationstop wrote:

Ohhhhh!!! Very Happy Good to hear. I doubt I will starve to death. Every cruiseline Iv been on served me more than twice the meat that Im used to eating or more. Im sure QM2 serves just as much food to everyone. Do they have a buffet area like other ships where you can go grab a late night dessert if you eat early dinner? I read something about the buffet area and you have to sign up ahead of time for kings something, which seems to be part of the buffet. Are there places you can just walk in.... or even grab a piece of pizza late at night?

There is plenty of food in all the dining rooms. You can order multiple entree's just like every other cruise line. There are several sections of the King's Court that you need reservations for, but at least one of the areas is always 1st come, 1st served. I'm fairly certain there is stuff available late at night, though we never really went looking for that. However, you can always get room service if all else fails.
Back to top Go down
cruizer7
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:33 pm

Princess sails out of Red Hook in Brooklyn. It was GREAT!! We plan on doing it again.We're a 7 hr. drive away (upstate NY) and don't mind flying. The fares weren't bad ,otherwise we probably would have driven.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:58 pm

i know i am on the princess on 8/29 out of red hook. actually as a brooklyn girl i can't believe that they could have every rehabbed red hook enough to have people actually want to come to that area but i am excited nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
RKlein
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
RKlein

Number of posts : 61

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 2:25 am

I live about an hour from LA and kind of have the same thoughts. I don't mind flying but the hassles that are associated with it. Especially with two kids now (11 and 8 ) it is an all day affair. I would prefer cruises out of So. Cal so that is what I am concentrating on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 2:31 am

RKlein wrote:
I live about an hour from LA and kind of have the same thoughts. I don't mind flying but the hassles that are associated with it. Especially with two kids now (11 and 8 ) it is an all day affair. I would prefer cruises out of So. Cal so that is what I am concentrating on.

If you could stand the car ride with kids in tow, San Francisco cruise departures would be an option as well. Wink
Back to top Go down
RKlein
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
RKlein

Number of posts : 61

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 5:54 pm

That is an option that I would consider if the cruise we want departs from there. It would only add a day drive which is still better than flying all day!

Thanks I'll keep that in mind.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Ron...
You could go visit my old stomping grounds in Lompoc/Santa Maria!
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 2:15 am

oldmonmouth wrote:
don't like flying and hate the airport hassle after a great vacation, are the cruises out of ny good
Many of the fall cruises up to Canada, I think are good. The Queen, I would suggest summer. Bermuda is not too bad. The shorter Caribbean cruises, I would be less enthusiastic about NY area departures.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate
lordoftime

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 11:13 am

I took my first ever cruise out of NY on the Norwegian Dawn. It was all new to me , the processing through the teminal was quite fast. I parked on the next dock over from the ship. Very expensive parking but then it is NY. Others had expressed concern about parking for a week and the risk of having the car stolen. In fact when we docked I thought we were were at the same dock we left from but it was actually 1 berth over. So when I couldn't see our car from the ship, I feared the worst. While I was panicking my wife calmlly deduced where the car was Embarassed .
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:30 am

I love, love, love cruising out of NYC (Manhattan or Brooklyn terminals). We have taken many cruises from NYC- Carnival, RCI, NCL, Princess, Cunard and a few small ones. For us, it is so much easier to drive and park right at the pier. Flying is so much of a hassle anymore.
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:15 pm

lordoftime - when did you do the Dawn out of NYC?

I've been on the Dawn 4 times - I lOVE that ship!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dont like flying, cruise out of new york   dont like flying, cruise out of new york Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

dont like flying, cruise out of new york
Page 1 of 1