Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some Packing Tips

Go down 
+14
Murphy
NDDad
UtahCouple
Triangle
RKlein
simcha
ckrobyn
Cruiseram
Admin
becktours
NDJollyMon
dream2cruise
Greta
Carole
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 10:12 am

AlohaTad wrote:
I am naive I guess but until reading it here, I had never heard of things disappearing as a result of checking bags with ship porters. The people I know who lost things en route to or from a cruise had them disappear in the airport baggage system.

I would not check a bag in either setting that had electronics, meds, valuables etc. cuz I would rather have such things under my control at all times.

Yep, sad huh? Sad

I carry everything. If I can live without it, then I check it.
Back to top Go down
ckrobyn
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
ckrobyn

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 3:12 pm

I have a packing problem. It happens all the time. I promise myself I will not overpack.....and then boom! I get nailed for extra baggage at the airport. I wish I could scale down the stuff I take, but I really am convinced I can't live without most or all of it. Shocked I need overpackers anonymous.......
Back to top Go down
Carole
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Carole

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 3:24 pm

Cruiseram wrote:
I got a great tip from a porter a few years ago. He said to tie the brightest or most unusual color ribbon we could find to our luggage to make it easier to find. It really works well, we do it every time we travel.

Very true. I buy the bright neon ribbon at the fabric store. I usually buy three different colors and tie them all together. Then I tie a bright gold ribbon on that. Once I get home, I put the ribbon inside my suitcase for the next cruise.
Back to top Go down
simcha
Resident Expert - Fort Lauderdale, FL
Resident Expert - Fort Lauderdale, FL

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 10:43 am

On longer cruises, check for lines that have laundry facilities for passengers--Princess and Azamara come to mind. I've met a lot of nice people in the laundry room. We did 18 days with the same amount of luggage we used for 7, thanks to the laundry room. I also pack dryer sheets (keeps clothes smelling fresh, too) and, when I can, those sample packs of detergent or the ones that come in tablet form.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Crobyn: Do you make up a list with the number of days you will be cruising? Like 7 and then in each space for a day you write in what you're wearing. And then you go back and see if you can Mix and Match outfits and shoes. Nobody really keeps track of what you wear on a cruise. Bring LESS and then buy something on the cruise if you REALLY need to have it.
I'd be lost without lists!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 5:40 pm

And almost forgot: If you have a spare bedroom or basement or area where you can lay out all the "STUFF" you just have to bring it might help let you mix and match better.

Always take a item away from the laid-out stuff as you go by that you think you can live without........you'll make it without it really. Take stuff you might want to give away at a port or just throw away after you wear it and you'll have room for new stuff you bought along the way.
Back to top Go down
RKlein
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
RKlein

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Having done alot of traveling on my motorcycle I have learned what is important to take.

Remember you can purchase a lot of stuff once you are there. Why pack a bunch of t-shirts when are going to buy a bunch of them as souvenirs anyway.

Same thing with some toiletries, wait to buy them when you need them rather than taking a bunch of stuff. Sure you might pay a little more but remember your on vacation!
Back to top Go down
RKlein
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
RKlein

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 6:08 pm

One more tip, as stated earlier take stuff you can give away or toss and if necessary ship stuff home instead of paying the extra cost of taking it on the plan.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 6:14 pm

I'm a listmaker too...
Maybe I'll post my lists....

Ok Here's my cruise packing list:

~Knives
~Coffee
~Passport

Pretty much all I need in life.
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
RKlein
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
RKlein

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 11:59 pm

Knives??? What kind of cruises and ports do you go to?
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 1:02 am

Ask my wife....
I've been jacked by a few ship security police in my day.
I don't understand why they take my pocket knives...then give me a bigger one at dinner? WTH?
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 2:33 am

I always pack a power bar, to plug-in my various chargers. I also know some folks who pack a sawed off broom handle if they are in a balcony room.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 8:15 am

Wow, is that for the javelin toss off the balcony? HeHeHe, no seriously, do they use that to secure the balcony door? My Dad always did that with our sliding glass doors.

~Jackie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 9:48 am

pete - i checked out that video. i'm going to try it next week when i pack
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 1:42 pm

Yes...I do it all the time.
One time TSA was digging through my bag and simply...gave up! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 2:53 pm

cruzinmama wrote:
Wow, is that for the javelin toss off the balcony? HeHeHe, no seriously, do they use that to secure the balcony door? My Dad always did that with our sliding glass doors.
~Jackie

Yep, that's exactly it! When I am out on the balcony, I sometimes want to leave the door open. When the ship rocks, the door will slide open and close, open and close, very irritating.
Back to top Go down
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 12:05 pm

Awesome tips, thanks guys
Back to top Go down
NDDad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
NDDad

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:27 am

I think we will try Petes idea or the space saver bags. Since we have 8 people they will all have to squeeze stuff tight. I will also be one in the laundry room Sad Hey I though I was on vacation Very Happy OH WELL
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 pm

Don't worry C....
You won't mind doing laundry on a cruise ship.
You're on a cruise ship!!!!

The only time we have ever done it on a cruise ship....(we're talking laundry here...) was on the 15 day Hawaii trip. Didn't mind...but who are we kidding. I don't even know how to do laundry at home. (that's my story...and I'm sticking to it!) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:32 pm

Generally, I enjoy doing laundry on a cruise. I take a book with me and do some reading away from the crowds. I commonly find no one else comes in the whole time I am doing laundry.
Back to top Go down
NDDad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
NDDad

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 4:15 pm

Yeah I am sure it will be me doing it although to my Hubbys credit anytime we have done it yes I am also talking laundry He has always helped me so I hope the tradition continues or else he will just hang with you Drinks I know that will be tough for whom I am not sure
Back to top Go down
NDDad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
NDDad

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Hey the Rccl countdown isnt working again or is it just mine Wazzzup
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 6:03 pm

Some tickers aren't working today. Mine included.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 5:18 pm

i just packed for next weekend and i looked at my husband's stuff and he had 25 tommy bahama shirts for a 12 day cruise. i said are you wearing these to bed? because where else would you wear 25 of them. he said he couldn't decide so he put all the ones that would remotely match his pants in. i made him limit it to 8.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 5:18 pm

oh plus he has 2 suitcases.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some Packing Tips
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next