Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Empty
PostSubject: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:04 am

Gratuities
Please note that for all sailings beginning on or after January 15, 2009, for your convenience, we will automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: $11.50 per person per day for guests in staterooms ($12.00 per person per day for guests in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms and $15.00 per person per day for guests in Suites). These service gratuities are based on the following recommended amounts:

Restaurant Service*Per Person Per Day
Waiter $3.65
Assistant Waiter $2.10
Dining Room Management $1.00

Stateroom Service*Per Person Per Day
Butler (Suites Only) $3.50
Stateroom Service $3.50 ($4.00 for Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms)

Alternative Service*
Other Service Personnel $1.25

*Please note that gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:11 pm

I'm only familiar with RCL, not Celebrity, so don't know that the amounts are different, only that the automatically adding it to your sea pass account is what is new.

So, before now tips were not added to your account? On RCL you filled out a form saying ok add them and that's what I'v always done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am

flowers wrote:
I'm only familiar with RCL, not Celebrity, so don't know that the amounts are different, only that the automatically adding it to your sea pass account is what is new.

So, before now tips were not added to your account? On RCL you filled out a form saying ok add them and that's what I'v always done.

Hi - having been on Celebrity last month, I can tell you these amounts differ slightly from what was suggested onboard.

For dining room service, they have upped the waiters and assistant waiters a bit and now delegate $1 to "management" rather than listing Ass't Maitre D' as someone to tip. How they will divvy that up within Management I don't really care but I think a lot of people felt it unfair to give half as much to the Ass't Maitre D' who spent a minute per night greeting us as we gave to the Ass't Waiters who worked so hard.

In the Cabin Service area, they have now eliminated the tip to the Chief Housekeeper. Again that was an envelope that many people felt rather coerced into filling. Giving more the cabin attendants seems right as they then split it with their assistants.

As far as "alternative service", I wonder if they mean in the alternative dining rooms? Or for room service or? Someone who sails on Celebrity after next week shall have to fill us in.

Heretofore, it was optional to have gratuitues charged to your shipboard account. But you had to take the extra step of filling out a form and returning it by a certain time in order to authorize tips posting to your account. If you chose not to do so, they then brought tip envelopes to your stateroom.

I think this will assure more tips for the staff as anyone trying to diminish the gratuity will have to go to the desk and argue their case. No doubt some will do so - but most people will just let it ride as the vast majority of people are pleased with Celebrity staff service.

Also, having a streamlined process will free up a lot of staff time at guest relations as I saw many people wait there to make sure their request was processed, obtain more envelopes, etc. Not to mention all the trees and costs saved by eliminating the forms and envelopes.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 11:20 am

Thanks, from what you say, it sounds better now to me too, even though I don't know what tips used to be to compare, I did think on RCL the tip to the maire d, seemed high per day. Carnival and Princess you dont tip this person at all as I remember?

Iv always just filled out the form, so automatic tipping works for me. No idea what alternative service is either lol

I just posted this because someone said this was a new policy for Celebrity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 1:25 am

I found my tip guide from last month (Dec. 08) on the Celebrity Mercury.

Stateroom attendant remains the same - 3.50 per person per day.

Previously we were asked to leave .50 per day for the "Asst Chief Housekeeper." I don't know this person and think the cruise line should be paying their salary. So now they are no longer listed directly - but might be included in the new "Alternative Service" tip requested of $1.25 per day.

Again - someone who goes on Celebrity after today please let us know how they describe this new opportunity to tip for "Alternative Service."

Waiter gratuity has gone up from 3.50 to 3.65 daily. That may not sound like much, but if you count how many guests are seated in their station and then multiply it by the number of cruise days - it will give them a nice little raise, about $60 a week more.

Waiter assistant has gone up to 2.10 from 2.00 daily so that might give them another 40 bucks a week?? That is good money compared to what they could earn in most of their home countries. Good for them. They work SO hard. Give em a raise!

Previously we were asked to leave 1.00 per person, per day for the Assistant Maitre'D and now they say 1.00 for the "Management". Sounds better - as if they are spreading it around. Who knows if it is just semantics or still goes to the same person who is usually welcoming but perfunctory.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 9:59 am

i have to admit that on all my cruises the only time i ever saw the maitre'd was on the last night to collect his envelope EXCEPT on explorer last year. the maitre'd came to every table every night and chatted for a few minutes. it was the first time i felt like i knew who i was tipping.
Back to top Go down
cruizer7
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:46 pm

On Princess, you can get envelopes from the pursers desk, and give something to the maitre'd, if you want. In my 7 cruises, I've never seen him, except when we walk into the MDR.
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:53 pm

On NCL, they just added $10.00 pp/pd to onboard account for length of the cruise. That gratuity went to serving staff & room stewards. Bars, other pay per meal eating venues, and coffee bar added gratuity to each check.
I understand that the $10.00 is (or just went) up to $12.00.
Then, of course you could tip individually, or more, to whom ever you wisshed - but it was "not necessary or expected'.

I liked that.

On QM2 - how does the tipping work? Never gave it a thought to ask..
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 1:49 am

taurus988 wrote:

I read on the Cunard site they put $13 per day on your account. I assume that's the basic amount, unless you are in a suite or a higher category cabin.
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 10:29 am

flowers wrote:
taurus988 wrote:

I read on the Cunard site they put $13 per day on your account. I assume that's the basic amount, unless you are in a suite or a higher category cabin.

Oh nice! Then it appears to be the same.
Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 2:22 am

Adding them on automatically just makes it easier. I usually leave more, but at least now I don't have to worry. It's just done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 9:54 am

i can't remember last year when i was on rcl i think they sent a paper around if we wanted them added on to our account or not. i remember getting the slips at the end with some envelopes to hand out.
Back to top Go down
Infi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:17 pm

Interesting to finally see the autotip option. I disagree with the breakdown of a tip for management, particularly when one compares it to the assistant waiters, who do so much more for guests (usually, I know Maitre D's do assist in special situations).
Back to top Go down
Infi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:19 pm

Oops, hit send too early by accident. I imagine alternative service is for alternative dining, as I can't see where it would go otherwise - entertainment, youth staff etc. are all on fixed salaries. Funny, I always thought the surcharge for the restaurants was mainly intended for the waitstaff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09   New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New tip policy for cruises leaving 1/15/09
Page 1 of 1