Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Empty
PostSubject: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Does anyone know who has sailed on an RCCL 2 week Christmas cruise? Do they have one on New Years Eve? Or Christmas Dinner? I just bought a new dress, and wondered if it would be more appropriate for New Years? Or Christmas ? What do you think?When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Formalgown

Thanks for your help & opinions girls.....Jackie
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 4:40 pm

Jackie, I love the dress, it looks like something I'd pick out for myself! Wink Each cruise line is different but, from my Christmas cruise experiences, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve tend to be two nights that will be formal and the rest are usually the "norm" meaning the second evening and the second to last evening will also be formal. As soon as we can get more solid information, we'll let you know.
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 5:13 pm

i was on the rccl christmas cruise last year. it was only 12 days and there were 3 formals. christmas eve, new years eve and the night we left our last port i think it was. i told our waiter that i was sorry because it was lobster night but that i was not coming to dining room for that because i just didn't want to dress up again and he said just come dressed nice casual like you always do and he didn't mind. and that's what we did. my husband wore some tommy bahama and i had a nice dress (not formal) on. we had very nice waiter and asst. waiter on explorer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 5:34 pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful , patient wait staff. I am thinking like you, that we want to dress to the nines twice, and was hoping it was falling on New Years Eve, and Christmas Eve, or Day. After that, we still would dress nice, but a little more casual.
Back to top Go down
bjjost
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
bjjost

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 7:07 pm

Yep... there are 3 formal nights.

Do you realize how much luggage I'm going to have for this cruise? Nevermind that... imagine how much luggage we're going to have for the whole group of us!! 10 people... 2 suitcases each... a carry on... Holy Cow! There might not be enough room!

The first time I took my husband on a cruise (we've only been married 7 years), he took so much luggage we had to pay extra. He had one suitcase just for shoes!! Imagine!!! A guy with 15 pairs of shoes for a 7 night cruise! Most guys take one pair then on formal nights they're in an "uh, oh" situation! You can bet that hasn't happened again!

Maybe I should send things ahead... lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 7:09 pm

omg. yeah i bought my husband sandals, flip flops, sneakers, dress shoes, and he is like why do i need more than 1 pair of shoes?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 7:13 pm

christmas eve and new years eve was formal and after dinner on christmas eve in the promenade they had the entertainment staff singing holiday songs. new years eve was a mob scene on the promenade. as it got closer to midnight there wasn't an inch to stand in. we ended up going up to our floor and by the elevators you could see the promenade and that is where we went. a crowd gathered there too on each of the floors and we had fun.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 7:50 pm

Bjjost, I know what you mean! They say the women are bad with all the shoes, but I think the men can just as bad! I think I will spend the month before the trip practicing my packing techniques!

Oesnjstar, Do you know if they were having any kind of celebrations( New Years) in any of the lounges as well as the promenade? We kind of like toasting to a new year together where it is kind of romantical, not with someones elbow stuck in my arse! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 9:08 pm

i am sure every lounge had something going on. if it's the same ship, dizzy's lounge a/k/a viking crown lounge seemed the most intimate at a window seat. a few of the lounges are on the promenade and that was just too crazy for me. i really was headed to my cabin when i got the idea of the 'end cap' and then immediately everybody decided to do it too.
Back to top Go down
bjjost
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
bjjost

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:18 pm

I'm a "romantical" person too. I like a crowd to a point but my husband is not a crowd person. He has claustrophobia and when it starts to get crowded, he gets that closed in feeling and has trouble breathing. That's not a good thing when you're trying to ring in the new year!!
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:27 pm

Had to laugh at what husbands pack. Mine always packs more than me!!! I usually go behind him and say "Why do you need that?" and then take it out if I really don't think he needs it!

I've never done a Christmas sailing but imagine that it is fun. As for formal nights, unfortunately I've seen so much non-formal attire that I wonder why they even call it formal night. Granted it is not as casual but I feel sometimes the cruise lines let it slide more than they should. I personally like getting all fancied up as I don't get to do it at home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:53 pm

Bette,
Your husband sounds alot like mine! He hates large crowds where you can't move or hear each other talk. I would much rather be snuggled up somewhere cozy and ring it in our own way.
Greta,
Don't they just crack you up! I love to dress up on vacations as I never get to much at home.

Jackie Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 7:28 pm

i only go to formal nights on the holiday cruise. we go to the buffet on formal nights on a regular cruise. thank goodness rcl is no where near as formal as cunard. they are much more fun and laid back
Back to top Go down
bjjost
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
bjjost

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Greta and Jackie...
I agree 100%!! I love formal nights! I never get to dress up at home and if it wasn't for the cruises, you'd never see me in a dress!!

And the photos!! Jerry just hates it because I drag him to every camera I see. I figure if we take 5 or 6 pictures, ONE of them should come out fairly decent. Plus... How often do you get a picture of the two of you all dressed up? Jerry wears farmer's overalls all the time!! When you get home, all the kids want a picture for the same reason... they never see you all gussied up!!

Of course, as soon as dinner is over, I'm back in my usual garb. But for 2 hours or so... we look good. (kinda sorta)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 10:20 pm

Ha! Bette, you just reminded me of our first cruise together. We were so impressed with ourselves on how well we cleaned up, and didn't want it to end. We set our camera up on top of the luggage in our cabin, and took timed pictures of ourselves until we got just the right one. It was so funny! We ended up taking one of our favorite pictures that night!

Oesnjstar, I love your new avatar, it's cute!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?   When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When are formal nights on 2 week Christmas cruise?
Page 1 of 1