Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your best excursion experience with kids?

Go down 
+5
NDJollyMon
becktours
Cruiseram
HelenB
thevacationstop
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Your best excursion experience with kids? Empty
PostSubject: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 11:54 am

What is the best (or most memorable) excursion you have ever done with your kids on a cruise? (or if you traveled with kids, nieces/nephews/friends - feel free to tell us about it)

I'll start Wink

For us, it's a toss up between swimming with dolphins or swimming with the sting rays. It was definitely memorable. Laughing

What is yours?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 12:12 pm

I really liked the snorkeling we did in st thomas...we practically had a sailboat to ourselves and went snorkeling....it was nice spending quality time with my boys...enjoying the beautiful views, talking and snuggling on the boat. They might have like swimming with the dolphins more...but I enjoyed the bonding more on the snorkeling trip
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 12:22 pm

Swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman is great, as long as the kids are big enough to stand on the sandbar and keep their heads above water. For real small kids, I'm not sure they would enjoy it as much.

The Atlantis submarine in various locales is also popular, as the kids think it is really cool to go sailing under the water to look at the reefs and shipwrecks. If a shark happens to swim by that really adds to the experience.

Coral World in St. Thomas should also be popular with the kids.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 12:30 pm

Penny - what's the name of the sailboat excursion you took, if you can remember? I will keep it in my notes to try the next time we are in St Thomas.

Steve - yep, we couldn't do the stingrays in Grand Caymen because my kids are too small. BUT, we could do Blackbeards Stingrays in Bahamas and it is zero entry (beach area) The kids can come and go as they please. And it was beautiful...loved it! So if you have clients with smaller children who want to do it, direct them there. I can't recommend that enough.

And yes, Coral World is a favorite of ours too. Very Happy

Also, the kids love going to Atlantis.
Back to top Go down
HelenB
Resident Expert Family Cruising
HelenB

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 12:32 pm

Through the cruise line, probably the pirate ship in Puerto Vallarta. On our own, we had a number of private driver excursions in Australia (the one in Rotarua was the best) which really catered nicely to the kids and allowed us to focus on things they were interested in.

We're really looking forward to taking the kids around Europe. They love castles and knights and swords so I'm sure they'll have a blast there!

Oh yeah, the kids definitely loved Coral Wordl! We did that on our own.

We also had lots of fun in NYC after a Crown Princess cruise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mommycruises.com

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 12:38 pm

HelenB wrote:
We're really looking forward to taking the kids around Europe. They love castles and knights and swords so I'm sure they'll have a blast there!

How old are they? I am trying to figure out the perfect age to start taking my kids there. My 8 year old is begging to go. I don't think the 4 year old is mature enough yet (it's just her personality)

When you go, I'll be looking for a full report when you get back. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi Michele,
Several years ago, I took my 5 and 8 year old nephews to Europe for a month(two weeks on a cruise). The favorite excursion was to Legoland in Windsor(about 30 minutes outside of London). Anything that had a fort, castle, armory, or park excited them. It was very easy to travel with them. On other vacations, I also took my goddaughter to Russia when she was 10, again no problems. She was interested in the shopping districts along with a little culture thrown in. I think when your youngest is 5, she'll be fine being anywhere in western Europe, so long as there are places to play.
kk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 12:59 pm

kk99 wrote:
I think when your youngest is 5, she'll be fine being anywhere in western Europe, so long as there are places to play.
kk

You don't know my youngest. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Believe me, if I am on Oasis with you, You have been warned! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 1:23 pm

Michele,
I'm sure she is no worse than my goddaughter at that age. We were driving to Florida from Texas with her and her brother , when we got stopped in Clearwater Beach for speeding. Brooke(who was 4) while the officer was asking the questions re registration etc., stripped off all of her clothes in the back seat of the minivan, and started screaming at the officer. The officer took pity on us , and didn't give us a ticket because he thought we had more than enough to handle. I can't imagine she's worse than that episode. Are ya'll not going on the Oasis? I hope you go because we'd love to meet your family in person.
kk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 1:26 pm

What is everyone's favorite excursion for teens? I am curiouse what to plan in 2010
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Kelsie - I don't know about Oasis now. I may just have too much going on. I will try my hardest to keep that booking though. I may be crusing with kids and leaving hubby at home. If I am in a quad, and I cancel one (my hubby) since I have 3 do you think I will have to give up my quad cabin?

Penny - We might have a better idea as soon as that itinerary is released. At this point, we could be crusing in canada. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 1:40 pm

I doubt if we will cruise canada over Christmas but I have never done. As long as I'm cruising that's all that matters. I was wondering what type of excursions people have done with teens. Teens all have their own issues with being bored at times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi Penny and Michele,
Penny if the Ship goes south over the Christmas sailing, and stops in Nassau, book it directly with Atlantis, and do the dolphin encounter. It is a 10 minute taxi ride from the pier to Atlantis, and then to the dolphin experience. it is pricy, but if you are planning a year in advance, perhaps you can budget for it. They also can then wander around the property for the rest of the visit. We have vacationed there 3 times, and the all ages have really enjoyed the facilities. If on St. Thomas, either go to one of the great beaches, Coral World, or do a snuba experience, where you don't actually scuba, bur they put a helmet on you with an iar hose attached, where you can experience most of what getting close to scuba diving would be like. We been in all of the islands, so if you know your itinerary, just let me know. Michele, they won't take the quad away from you, especially if you don't have to cancel him out until when full payment is due. We had this happen to our family when some of our family and friends couldn't go and cancelled at the end. I think they will have a hard time filling the Oasis next year after the first few sailings, so I'm sure they will want to accomodate you as a frequent RCL guest. I know the song contest ends today, so I'm hoping my vote and others put you in the win category!
kk
Back to top Go down
HelenB
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 5:17 pm

crusinmama06 wrote:
How old are they? I am trying to figure out the perfect age to start taking my kids there. My 8 year old is begging to go. I don't think the 4 year old is mature enough yet (it's just her personality)

They're just 6 and 8 (November/December birthdays). I don't know if they're the 'perfect' age to go, but my older child certainly has a lot of interest in European (and Roman) history, while my younger's interest is more general (wants to see castles, etc.). They'll have a good time and we'll have a good time and that's what matters. It's not like we're not going back. Wink

FWIW, my son (the 6 year old) is *very* active and boisterous at times, but he has calmed down immensely in the last 2-3 years. You never know what your 4 year old might be like in a year or two!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 6:08 pm

I will second the Coral World excursion. But our girls most favorite things to do in the Caribbean is just to go to the beach. They are little fishes and just love playing in the water and in the sand. When we sailed on the Crown Princess in October, our best port days were the days at the beach. So relaxing and great family time.
Back to top Go down
Cruiseram
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Cruiseram

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 8:04 pm

My son really liked swimming with the stingrays in Grand Cayman and the Butterfly Farm in St. Maarten. I wish the Turtle Farm would have been more of a hit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 11:54 am

Cruiseram - I hear that alot about the turtle farm. The kids either love it or are bored with it in 5 minutes.

mnmomof4 - I obviously don't have teens yet but I can tell you what are some of the best teen activities just from what I've been told or experience as an adult on these excursions with teens.

For teens - if they are old enough and can be trusted...lol....any waverunner tour. No matter where we go, we try to do waverunners. And teens are always on the excursion. We like to do the waverunners on the cruise line's private islands.

In places like Jamaica - the tree top canopy tour is always a big hit with teens.

In places like Belize - cave tubing

Climbing waterfalls excusions, also good (Ocho Rios)

River Tubing or River Rafting

ATV tours

Any kind of adventurous activity is usually a big hit with the teens. Something you wouldn't allow them to do at home. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cruiseram
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Cruiseram

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 5:42 pm

I have read that since we had been to Grand Cayman they have expanded the Turtle Farm and have added other exhibits so I would like to go back and see it again.
Back to top Go down
becktours
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
becktours

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 5:51 pm

My kids loved the Pirate Ship Adventure in St. Maarten. I booked it through Shore Trips.
Back to top Go down
http://www.becktours.com

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks Michele for the advice. Actually some of your suggestions in Jamaice I'm considering for my cruise next month..I'm still undecided
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 7:05 pm

My best excursion with kids....
are the ones where I leave them at home when I sail! Laughing
I try to leave my stresses at home!
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
RKlein
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
RKlein

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:30 pm

Stingray City, Want to take the kids now that they are old enough.
Back to top Go down
RKlein
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
RKlein

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Speaking of Legoland there is one down by San Diego and we visit it every year. I have boys 11 and 8 and they love it! If you take a cruise out of So Cal I recommend it if you have young kids.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:48 pm

Yea Ron...but you know my kids!
They aren't kids anymore....hence I leave them. I gotta admit...the two times we've taken them were fun....although a little stressful.

I can't wait to take my little grand daughter cruising now!
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
HelenB
HelenB

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:50 pm

RKlein wrote:
Speaking of Legoland there is one down by San Diego and we visit it every year. I have boys 11 and 8 and they love it! If you take a cruise out of So Cal I recommend it if you have young kids.

In that area, the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park (2 different parks) are great. Up in LA you have Universal Studios Hollywood, and of course in Anaheim you have Disneyland.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your best excursion experience with kids?   Your best excursion experience with kids? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your best excursion experience with kids?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next