Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Cruise Liner Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ? Empty
PostSubject: Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ?   Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 5:55 pm

When I was last aboard the QM2 last October one of the QM2's officers told us passengers of his prediction that several years down the road Cunard/Carnival Corporation will build a second Transatlantic Liner because of trouble with the airlines and that Cunard/Carnival Corporation then will believe that the transatlantic market can support 2 ships.Maybe I am guilty of wishful thinking but I would to love to see this myself.Does anyone here think that the transatlantic market can support 2 ships.This same officer also said that when the second Transatlantic Liner is built she will be built to to same size of the QE2 which is a Panamax Ship of 70,000 to 80,000 gross tons.I will try to get more information on this topic when I'm aboard the QM2 next April. Regards,Jerry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ?   Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 6:35 pm

I'd certainly like to see another Liner entered back into service. I'm not sure I follow the train of thought regarding airlines - meaning the cost or that they're less and less reliable? Nonetheless, I do think a Transatlantic Liner is a great idea! I'll be joining you in your wishful thinking that it actually happens.
Back to top Go down
Cruise Liner Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ?   Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 7:00 pm

Nick, I think that what the officer meant concerning trouble with the airlines is both the rise in the price of the airline fare,when the price of the airline ticket to London is about the same as the price for the cheapest cabin aboard the QM2 maybe there will be a lot of people when comparing the price of the airline to the QM2 will then think screw the airlines we will cross the North Atlantic in grand style aboard the QM2 and also because of the airlines becoming less and less reliable. Regards,Jerry
Back to top Go down
English Todd
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
English Todd

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ?   Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 11:03 am

It would be nice to see a second liner, perhaps exclusively for Transatlantic sailings. Personally, given the choice and of course the time, I would much rather travel by ship. Airline prices are already equal to that of traveling on an inside cabin in most cases and, with the population continuing to age and more people entering into retirement. This might not be just speculation, it might indeed come to pass.
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

Number of posts : 889
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ?   Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 12:07 pm

I agree that I think the market could handle a small transatlantic liner if the trip could be done in a 5 day time frame. Just long enough for a getaway but not so long as to put it out of the running for those just wanting transport. If they are smart they will purposely price the insides at or just below airfare prices. It could be marketed as "The Express Transatlantic Service"... "With fully flat beds in personal cabins, gourmet dining and the addition of excellent entertainment, it's the new definition of First Class" (Playing off the airline's adds of course Wink )

with QM2 maintaining a reputation for "The Grand Transatlantic Voyage"... "Cross in relaxed luxury with time to reflect and enjoy the sea".
Back to top Go down
http://www.ambiancetc.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ?   Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would it be possible to build a second Transatlantic Liner ?
Page 1 of 1