Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing

Go down 
+2
Andy The Sailor Man
Cruise Liner Fan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cruise Liner Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-08-31

QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Empty
PostSubject: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 6:14 am

Since Cunard has done tandem crossings with the QM2 and QE2 in 2004 and again next month and also the tandem crossing last January with the QE2 and Queen Victoria,does any of the travel agents on this board have any idea if Cunard will do any more tandem crossings with the QM2 and Queen Victoria and or the QM2 and the new Queen Elizabeth? I know it is too late for 2009 since the 2009 schedule is already out, but is there any chance that Cunard will do this in 2010 or 2011? Would any member of this messageboard be interested in going aboard the QM2,Queen Victoria and or the new Queen Elizabeth for a tandem crossing? Jerry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 9:53 am

I'd LOVE to take a tandem crossing! Might I recommend 2011 since we have a double transit and the Inaugural of the new Queen Elizabeth in 2010? 2011 is still wide open, the only thing scheduled so far is a Baltics cruise on Cunard.
Back to top Go down
Andy The Sailor Man
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Andy The Sailor Man

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 10:19 am

A tandem crossing is an excellent suggestion!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 10:45 am

I'd be interested!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 6:41 pm

Oh a crossing?! That would be great, haven't taken a crossing a long time! And, we could add on a few nights in London too - hint, hint!!
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

Number of posts : 889
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 6:46 pm

I'll keep an eye out for any announcements to this affect and alert the group if/when I see anything. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.ambiancetc.com
Cruise Liner Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 12:14 am

Since we are talking about any tandem crossings that Cunard may do in the future,Here is a daily report that Ben Lyons who is the Bridge Officer aboard the QM2 wrote when he went aboard the Queen Victoria as a passenger last January for the tandem transatlantic crossing of the QE2 and Queen Victoria.The report is interesting and does have pictures of the QE2 sailing next to the Queen Victoria and also of Queen Victoria's passengers looking at the QE2.Officer Lyons though did write this report for another website so I hope it is o.k. with the moderators of this website that I post the link for the report that Officer Lyons wrote so that the messageboard members on this site could read it and I am in no way trying to make public the other website and this website is so much better than that other website.Here is the link http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=617 Regards,Jerry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 10:06 am

Thanks Jerry! And, not to worry, our admin on here is very cool, she allows links, emails, web addresses Wink (even to other message boards)
Back to top Go down
Down The Shore Guy
Charter Member
Charter Member
Down The Shore Guy

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2007-08-12

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 2:20 pm

A crossing could be a lot of fun, let us know what you come up with Nina!
Back to top Go down
Shipmate
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Shipmate

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2007-09-04

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 10:07 am

Would anyone be interested in a Westbound Transit in 2011 regardless if it's a tandem transit or not?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 12:37 pm

Shipmate wrote:
Would anyone be interested in a Westbound Transit in 2011 regardless if it's a tandem transit or not?

Yes! Absolutely! I'd love a few days in London followed by a Westbound transit.
Back to top Go down
Kindlychap
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 12:54 pm

Having done both the tandems to date, and being booked for both the tandems next month, all on QE2 (naturally) I see little point in this concept once the QE2 has gone.

Neither QV nor QE is built for crossings - yes, they can manage the occasional one, but not a regular crossing - and as such aren't really suitable ships.

QM2 is all very well on a transatlantic, but with the hint that she may be slowing down to seven nights it really is getting to be a little Victorian in pace.

Perhaps they could emulate Mary and Elizabeth, and meet mid North Atlantic?

I really cannot see that Cunard could fill two ships for a tandem unless one was QE2. There isn't enough magic there to go around.

Matthew
Back to top Go down
Andy The Sailor Man
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Andy The Sailor Man

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 2:21 pm

Kindlychap wrote:
Having done both the tandems to date, and being booked for both the tandems next month, all on QE2 (naturally) I see little point in this concept once the QE2 has gone.

Neither QV nor QE is built for crossings - yes, they can manage the occasional one, but not a regular crossing - and as such aren't really suitable ships.

QM2 is all very well on a transatlantic, but with the hint that she may be slowing down to seven nights it really is getting to be a little Victorian in pace.

I really cannot see that Cunard could fill two ships for a tandem unless one was QE2. There isn't enough magic there to go around.

Matthew

If one needed to cross the Alantic quickly, it would not be via ship, therefore, I do not see any reason to condemn QM2 if it does slow to 7 nights. However, to each his own...
Back to top Go down
Kindlychap
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Andy The Sailor Man wrote:
Kindlychap wrote:

Matthew

If one needed to cross the Alantic quickly, it would not be via ship, therefore, I do not see any reason to condemn QM2 if it does slow to 7 nights. However, to each his own...

I'll give you one good reason. We had a seven night crossing this year. Nastiest motion I've had on QE2 - no weather worthy of the name, but the ship was bobbing around like a cork on the seas. Had we been doing 26 knots rather than 16-18 we'd have been considerably more comfortable.

The longer the crossing, the harder it is to sell. You can't really sell it as a line voyage in 2010 and do speeds last seen on express liners 130 years earlier.

I've done, I think, seven transatlantics (real crossings - not these modern cruises that cross with ports on the way) to date, and six nights is lovely. And remember that is slow compared to a few years ago, when QE2 did a regular crossing in five nights (something QM2 can't manage). Seven or eight nights isn't going to work.

Matthew
Back to top Go down
Cruise Liner Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 6:02 pm

Matthew,I would still like to see a tandem crossing between the QM2 and the new Cruise Ship Queen Elizabeth in 2010.Especially for people like me who for various reasons was not able to go aboard either the QE2 and QM2 in either the 2004 tandem crossings or the 2008 tandem crossings or aboard either the QE2 and Queen Victoria for last January's tandem crossing.If you don't like the fact that the new Queen Elizabeth is a cruise ship that can still do the occasional transatlantic crossing though at a slower speed than the QM2 well don't bother booking a cabin aboard either the QM2 or the new Queen Elizabeth for the 2010 tandem transatlantic crossing. Jerry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 9:35 am

I'm in - tandem or otherwise!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing   QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QM2 & QV Crossing and or QM2 & new QE Crossing
Page 1 of 1