Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Newbies Guide To Cunard

Go down 
+5
Leanna N
AmbianceTraveler
NDJollyMon
English Todd
Andy The Sailor Man
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Andy The Sailor Man
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Andy The Sailor Man

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Newbies Guide To Cunard Empty
PostSubject: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 2:10 pm

I thought I'd start this and anyone with questions about Cunard can post them here. Those of us more experienced with Cunard will do our best to answer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 7:02 pm

Great idea Andy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2008 10:53 am

Just bumping this up
Back to top Go down
English Todd
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
English Todd

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 2:22 pm

Also giving this a bump up - I have a feeling this thread will become busy shortly
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 8:51 pm

Ok, I'll bite.

I'm only familiar with the mainstream lines, like Princess, RCI, and Carnival.
What makes Cunard stand out from these lines?

I don't understand the whole restaurant thing. Why do they dine according to the cabin category booked? Is it like 'old school' cruising? (first class, second class, steerage)

Are there good deals to be found on Cunard? (such as what you would find on other lines) Would Cunard cruises be more expensive than other mainstream lines?

Are Cunard cruises any different in what are 'standard offerings' on other lines? Are daily activities and such the same?

Ok, that should get me a little more familiar! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

Number of posts : 889
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 11:28 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
Ok, I'll bite.

Cunard offers a more refined, elegant experience. The focus is on personal enrichment, history and enjoying the sea. It's about relaxing with new friends over a pint in the pub, taking a dance class, reading a book out on deck while the ocean rolls by, dancing to the big band then taking a stroll in the moonlight. Fine dinners and grand balls which are attended by beatifully dressed guests are some of the highlights. In fact, dressing up and staying dressed up is one of the things that loyal Cunarders really appreciate and relish. In a world so given to dressing down, Cunard offers the chance to dress up both during the day and in the evenings.

I don't understand the whole restaurant thing. Why do they dine according to the cabin category booked? Is it like 'old school' cruising? (first class, second class, steerage)

Much like Celebrity's Aqua Class where the cabin comes with the priviledge of dining in the Blu Restaurant, Cunard also matches the cabin grade with a restaurant. It's more one of those "You get what you pay for" concepts as unlike the traditional class systems where each class would have all their own venues, this is only the restaurants and one small lounge.

Are there good deals to be found on Cunard? (such as what you would find on other lines) Would Cunard cruises be more expensive than other mainstream lines?

Cunard is a premium/luxury line and in general is more expensive then the mainstream lines although deals are to be had! The July 1st, 2009 cruise is actually less then a comparable RCCL itinerary.

Are Cunard cruises any different in what are 'standard offerings' on other lines? Are daily activities and such the same?

This is where Cunard really differs. There are no hairy chest contests, quest games or fruit in the suit activities. These are replaced by afternoon tea dances, trivia games, darts in the pub, lectures about history, art, culture, movie stars and foreign affairs. Passengers spend their time talking with one another over cocktails, attending art and RADA acting classes or a RADA play. They enjoy the shops and the art auctions and they flock to the afternoon tea service to enjoy the white gloved service and delicious scones!

Keep the questions coming Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.ambiancetc.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 2:21 am

Dang! Now I wish I would have guessed the right due date! (I guessed 8th)
I'll cross my fingers for that second chance cruise! (what great contests by the way! Second to none!)

Thanks for the answers by the way. I understand it much better now. That Britannia dining room looks great in the pics! I love those aft pools too.
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 10:15 am

Good luck in the second chance drawing!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 10:46 am

You mention dressing up during the day......how dressy are we talking about??

I,for one,will not miss the stupid games.......never have been a fan.........

Looking forward to trying Cunard..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 10:54 am

PH8 wrote:

Great question! Cunard is pretty much like any other cruise line during the day. You'll see people walking around in shorts and jogging outfits, it's pretty relaxed. It's in the evening where you'll experience the difference. You'll never see or hear the great jeans debate on Cunard, simply put it isn't allowed. And formal nights are just that formal. The other big difference is that people are requested to stay in the dress code for the entire evening. For example, on Carnival - yes, me a Cunard lover, does cruise on mainstream lines like Carnival - many people go back to their cabins to change out of their formal wear after dinner. While it isn't written anywhere, on Cunard, it simply isn't done. You remain dressed for the entire evening.

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 11:07 am

Thanks...........have no problem staying dressed up.............I was just hoping shorts would be ok during the day(after it was said dressed up during the day)

Most men wear tuxes?? Women wear long gowns?? (talking about formal nights)...

I have so much to learn about the QM2...
Back to top Go down
Leanna N
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Leanna N

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 11:37 am

PH8 wrote:
Thanks...........have no problem staying dressed up.............I was just hoping shorts would be ok during the day(after it was said dressed up during the day)

Most men wear tuxes?? Women wear long gowns?? (talking about formal nights)...

I have so much to learn about the QM2...

On these shorter cruises it's a mixture of dark suits and tuxes for the men but, nearly all the women will wear gowns on formal nights.

During the day the only times you might want to dress a bit are for afternoon tea or if you're having lunch at Todd English, that's the alternative restaurant on board (and OH so good)! And at that you don't have to go all out, just a nice sundress or dressy slacks for the ladies and perhaps khakis or dress slacks for the gentlemen.
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 6:20 pm

Sorry, I should have clarified the dressing up during the day better! Thanks ladies for covering that for me Smile

What I found was that the day dress is casual but not as casual as you tend to see on the mainstream lines. Cut off shirts and shorts look odd, swimsuit cover ups are restricted to the pool area with perhaps just a few walking in Kings Court during the afternoon and typically consist of more than a see-through mess shirt if they are in the buffet. The nice thing is, you feel very much "in place" even in very nice day wear and for me that is a big draw. (I love dressing up day and night!) You will also feel just as comfortable in a tracksuit or jeans and t-shirt provided they fit well and don't have holes!

On this last sailing which had more than the average first timers I saw a lot of ladies in capris with polo style tops, cotton sundresses, jeans and nice t-shirts or jogging suits with men in polo shirts and bermuda shorts, jeans and either cotton button ups, polos or nice t-shirt or khakis and shirt. The young people of course just wore young attire that they liked whether it looked good or not (some of those European styles eek! affraid )

In short I like to discribe it as the type of clothing you would wear to a new friend's backyard BBQ. Casual but not as casual as you might be at home Smile

I think one of my winter projects is going to be convincing my sister to model different outfits that you would see passengers in on Cunard and video tape it for youtube.com viewing. A real live guide!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 7:57 pm

AmbianceTraveler wrote:

In short I like to discribe it as the type of clothing you would wear to a new friend's backyard BBQ. Casual but not as casual as you might be at home Smile

Thats a great way to describe it......can relate to that..........
Back to top Go down
Kindlychap
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 3:43 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
Ok, I'll bite.

I'll give you my perspective. Seven transatlantics to date. World Club Diamond.

Quote :

Can't help you there. I've only been on Cunard, two nights on P&O's Arcadia (never again) and Midnatsol from Hurtigruten (wonderful - but completely different).

Quote :

I've done both Queens' Grill and steerage. The difference is mainly in the location of your eatery. The menu is much the same all over the ship, but in Queens' Grill everything is individually prepared, Mauretania/Britannia is more factory food. But very good factory food - I've enjoyed Britannia, Britannia Club, Mauretania, Caronia, Britannia Grill and Queens' Grill and had good food in each. The meat in each restaurant is the same.

The cabins get bigger and better with flasher perks as you pay more. But you'd expect that, wouldn't you?

In the overwhelming majority of the ship no-one knows (or cares) if you're in a Q1. I've been there, done the T shirt, and people don't treat those in Q1s better than anyone else - even in the Queens' Grill itself.

Quote :

There are always deals on everything. Research the market. But yes, to answer your specific question, there are deals.

Quote :

You can google for a Daily Programme and find them - I haven't a link to hand but know there are some on the internet. Perhaps Nina could scan a typical TA one?

Quote :

I'm not sure I'd endorse everything Nina says - a lot of it is the sort of brochure talk that doesn't really bear much resemblance to the actual ship. But those who travel on Cunard don't need to be entertained, they can entertain themselves with food, drink and converstation. Or just looking out to sea. I think that is more the essence of the Cunard passenger. It is an easy concept to understand too.

Matthew
Back to top Go down
Kindlychap
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 3:45 pm

FormerlySanFranBayCruiser wrote:
PH8 wrote:

You'll see people walking around in shorts and jogging outfits, it's pretty relaxed.

Not on a TA you won't.

Matthew
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 4:56 pm

When was the last time you were on a TA Matthew? I know I saw quite a few people in such attire on the Aug. 7th. Perhaps QM2 is less dressy than QE2 which I could imagine would be the difference. While the jogging suits were among the minority there were plenty of shorts as we had lovely weather nearly the whole way.
Back to top Go down
Andy The Sailor Man
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Andy The Sailor Man

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 5:00 pm

You beat me to the punch Nina. This guide is for people joining us on the July 1, 2009 sailing. It is a 5 night sailing to Boston and Halifax and there are people joining us who have never sailed Cunard.

And, I've been on several TAs that people DO wear jogging suits and very relaxed outfits during the day.

So, Kindlychap, unless you can contribute in a positive way, might I recommend you keeping your know-it-all attitude to yourself so you don't give people the wrong impression and, allow them to think that everyone on Cunard will be like you.

My apologies to everyone else but, his comments are really getting under my skin. A Cunard snob in the flesh and I want to assure the majority of people on Cunard are NOT like Kindlychap.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 6:41 pm

Not to worry Andy.....I'll ignore the comments.............

Sure would be nice to wear shorts during the day....after all,its JULY!
Back to top Go down
Kindlychap
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 8:47 pm

Andy The Sailor Man wrote:
You beat me to the punch Nina. This guide is for people joining us on the July 1, 2009 sailing. It is a 5 night sailing to Boston and Halifax and there are people joining us who have never sailed Cunard.

The thread is entitled "Newbies to Cunard". No further caveats. Nor is any further caveat implied or stated in your opening post.

Quote :
And, I've been on several TAs that people DO wear jogging suits and very relaxed outfits during the day.

Where about and on which ship? There were (fortunately) none that I noticed in June 2007. And neither of my transatlantics this year (although those were January and April) nor do I expect to see any on the three I have booked for the rest of this year.

Quote :
So, Kindlychap, unless you can contribute in a positive way, might I recommend you keeping your know-it-all attitude to yourself so you don't give people the wrong impression and, allow them to think that everyone on Cunard will be like you. My apologies to everyone else but, his comments are really getting under my skin. A Cunard snob in the flesh and I want to assure the majority of people on Cunard are NOT like Kindlychap.

I'm not sure how independence of mind is supposed to be not positive. I have told you what I think is the case, and on what experience I base it. I thought that was what you were inviting people to do.

I'd have thought that the post of mine confirming that those travelling in a Q1 are treated identically would have been an important benefit to a thread such as this - doesn't it prove exactly the point that there is no class system on a Cunarder?

Is "a positive way" telling people what they want to hear? I hope not. That would be very sad, and totally useless.

Matthew
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 9:21 am

Getting back to business - who else has a question we can answer for them or at least guide you in the right direction?
Back to top Go down
English Todd
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
English Todd

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 7:15 pm

I know some of you are curious about upgrading. I am going to show a few photos and explain the differences to help you decide.

This is the the Queen's Grill Lounge - reserved for just those passengers booked in Queen or Princess Suites.

Newbies Guide To Cunard Qg10
Back to top Go down
English Todd
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
English Todd

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 7:15 pm

And this is actually inside the lounge

Newbies Guide To Cunard Queens10
Back to top Go down
English Todd
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
English Todd

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 7:21 pm

This is a Category Q5 - this not only gives you much more cabin space but, entrance into the lounge above plus a private dining room know as the Queen's Grill

Newbies Guide To Cunard Q510
Back to top Go down
English Todd
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
English Todd

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 7:22 pm

As you can see you also get a full tub/shower combination in a Q5

Newbies Guide To Cunard Q5bath10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbies Guide To Cunard   Newbies Guide To Cunard Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newbies Guide To Cunard
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next