Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Captains and Cruise Directors

Go down 
+14
darlene
duke214
frannieburr
flowers
babybear
NDJollyMon
Beyondships
luvcruising
Carole
4 Leaf Clover
thevacationstop
mytee4ever
nlb1050
mamacruising
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mamacruising
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
mamacruising

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Captains and Cruise Directors Empty
PostSubject: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 12:30 am

I know if I ask this question on the "other" board I would get FLAMED!!! Why do so many people want to know who the captain ,cruise director, ect is on a sailing? All cruises we have been on, I rarely see either one of them as their staff is handling all the guest stuff. Do people really get to know them well enough to have them remember from a cruise past?? Thanks for not flaming me Exclamation
Back to top Go down
nlb1050

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 1:22 pm

I like this question. I am like you in that we have hardly ever seen the director interact other than at specific times,such as shows. And as for the captain, I feel that he does need to be freindly to all but that is not his main purpose. If the captain had not proven his worth then he would not be a ships captain.

So for this I really don't care who either are.
Back to top Go down
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 8:21 pm

I don't understand the desire to know who the cruise director is either. If it wasn't on the capers that I brought home, I wouldn't know their names at all! I have only spoken directly to the cruise director once & that was because we were walking together on the "On Deck for the Cure". I remember his face, but couldn't tell you his name if my life depended on it! lol!

I guess I don't go to enough of the shows where the Cruise Director is entertaining the audience to notice a huge difference in who it is. I hope someone can explain why it is important to so many.

Towanda
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 11:54 am

For the Captain, I agree with you. As long as he is adequately trained and experienced, and keeps the ship safe, who cares.

There are a couple of Cruise Director's that I can actually recall, and they did make the cruise more enjoyable, particularly at the shows. John Heald is easily the best cruise director I have sailed with out of the 8 cruises I have been on. The only other one I can even remember sort of by name is Malcolm "in the middle". The rest were very forgettable.

I certainly don't plan what cruise I'm going to take based on who the cruise director or captain is.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com
4 Leaf Clover
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
4 Leaf Clover

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:48 pm

There are a few cruise directors who I've enjoyed over the years Graham Seymour and Greg Kneale are two who stand out, and, of course, John Heald goes without saying, he is tops. However, I wouldn't base my cruise decision on the CD or Captain. I've never met any personally and chances are I probably never will - and like most of you, don't understand the fuss about who's captain or CD.
Back to top Go down
Carole
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Carole

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 2:39 pm

I remember two CD's that were quite friendly and entertaining. I don't know why, but I like to know who the CD and the Captain are.......if for no other reason that to have it in with my memorabilia. I keep an album and a separate file of each cruise (expect one that wasn't so great) and it is neat to look back. You never know, one of these days they could be famous >LOL
Back to top Go down
luvcruising
Carnival Host
Carnival Host
luvcruising

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Knowing the Cruise Director?   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 6:12 pm

I've got to say that I don't pick a cruise based on who the CD is, but I do know that it has made a big difference how good the CD is! We had a fantastic crew on the old Norwegian Sea on a 2005 Texaribbean cruise that even compensated for the run-down ship. I remember the CD was named Kevin from Barbados & his Assistant was named Jolene; my husband & I would love to know what ship they're on. On our first Carnival Conquest cruise in 2007, the CD was very forgettable, except that I loved his British accent - he added nothing to the experience for us. We did enjoy the Assist. CD, who remembered our names for the whole cruise anywhere he saw us! When we were on the Conquest 1/08, the CD Mark was wonderful!

For me, a good CD can enhance the cruise experience, just like the "cruisemates" can make a real difference.

Cathy
Back to top Go down
http://www.luvcruising.com

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 7:55 pm

I know of at least one RCCL captain that has his own fan club ... and they do sail based on when he's onboard.
Back to top Go down
Carole
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Carole

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 9:21 pm

I don't book based on CD's, Captains, or even the ports - Yes, I would be happy if the ship went around in circles and came back in. I cruise to RELAX !!
Back to top Go down
Beyondships
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Beyondships

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 12:39 pm

The captain of a ship can make a big difference in how a ship operates and the overall morale of a ship. Thus, if one knows that the ship no longer has the captain who was in command during a prior cruise, one can expect that the atmosphere on board will be different than it was on the prior cruise.

Similarly, different cruise directors have different styles. If you know that a certain cruise director is going to be on a ship and you enjoyed his or her work before, then it makes that ship more attractive.

Also, people who have cruised many times often develop friendships with captains and cruise directors and it is nice to know what they are doing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.beyondships.com

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 1:38 pm

I don't care who the captain or CD are. I also don't need to know who the entertainment will be before I cruise.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 12:16 am

It's nice to have a good cruise director. They can make things really fun.
I think it's more important to have friendly, energenic entertainment staff...because we interact with them much more at activities throughout the cruise.
I find it nice to meet the captain...but I'd rather build a relationship with a great bartender!
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
babybear
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 1:07 am

I don't think it's important who the captain or cruise director is on a particular sailing. I've more interested if some of our favorite waiters and bartenders are still on the ship. They truly can make the trip more enjoyable.
babybear
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 2:46 pm

I had heard so much about certain CDs on the Carnival Conquest and of course looked forward to my cruise. I was on the "Ike" cruise where we got dumped in New Orleans. We had a substitute CD. Every comment I saw included that she had a "grating" voice. You can imagine how many announcements we had, over and over and repeated over again in this voice that made you want to put your hands over your ears.

Having a bad CD can be irratating, you tend to take them for granted otherwise. Ours was certainly not up to the emergency. The regular CD had a family emergency and had to fly home at the last minute.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi Flowers,
I'm sorry that you had a grating CD. The fewer announcements on the ship, the better the cruise is for me. I hope you got to enjoy New Orleans for a day or so before returning home. I spent part of my childhood there, and still love to go back for the Jazz Festival.
kk99
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 1:00 pm

kk99 wrote:
Hi Flowers,
I'm sorry that you had a grating CD. The fewer announcements on the ship, the better the cruise is for me. I hope you got to enjoy New Orleans for a day or so before returning home. I spent part of my childhood there, and still love to go back for the Jazz Festival.
kk99

I had two disabled cruisers with me and my sister's friend was driving me crazy. I didn't stay in New Orleans partly to get rid of being around her, partly because my Dad had skin cancer schedeled early the next morning after we landed. I also have not booked another Carnival cruise since I got home, just doing the ones I have booked. The more disabled cruiser with us called the purser's desk to get handicapped disembarkation and was hung up on twice. Another wheel chair bound lady I talked to had the same experience, the purser's desk was just hanging up on people they were so busy with the lines at the desk. Carnival doesnt seem to realize not everyone can find the purser's desk and get there on their own. I had to take both of them everywhere, so giving me ONE phone call from the purser's desk after standing in line for hours, soured me on Carnival for a long time to come. I was feeling pretty overwhelmed at the time because I had no one with what Ill call an adult mind to discuss arrangements with and knowing my car was probably totalled and I had no one to talk to or ask should I try to get to Galveston and start the car, what should I do. I was not sleeping for days and had to go out to the hospital in Cozumel for extra medication for my sister, $200 later we did find it surprisingly enough. By Sunday my sister was having petit mal seizures, so thats why I decided to do the wheelchair disembarkation Monday that took 4 hours of waiting. We didnt need the extra medication but at the time Carnival could not tell us when we would dock or where, so I was stressing and not sleeping.

I do have the Carnival Triumph already booked Dec 09, which is out of New Orleans and plan to go then and stay in French Qtr. I just couldnt enjoy myself at the time. Carnival didnt even have phone numbers ready for rental cars places when they gave us 12 hours notice we were going to New Orleans. They only updated the hurricane map once the whole day before Ike hit. The reps on board said they couldnt get online, that a 3rd party did online service for Carnival, so even they couldnt get things online to help out cruisers.

I think its easy to say service and CDs dont matter when things are going right. When things are all going wrong, then it would be nice to have those things.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 7:11 pm

We have cruised exclusively on Princess - not for any particularly good reason other than that they went where we wanted to go, when we wanted to go there, at a good price point. Now we're 'hooked' because of the Captains Circle program and goodies and don't want to start over with someone else. After 20 cruises, we HAVE gotten to know some of the CDs and Captains, and do like to know who we're sailing with, for a couple of reasons. One, if it is someone we know and like, sometimes I bring a small gift. Two, some captains are just flat out better to sail with - they are good people managers, their crews are happier and/or more efficient, and the whole experience is better. Conversely, there are a few (very few) that I'd just as soon not sail with again, all other things being equal, and if I can schedule my trip for when they are on vacation, I wouldn't mind doing so.

CDs all have their own take on how they do things, and while the 'big' entertainments will be the same, they may have a different spin on the morning show (one in particular does a morning show quiz and gives away bottles of champagne - I LOVE sailing with him!!), some are friendlier and will come to roll call meetings and such. Some are just nicer people and more fun to be around, and seem to be able to spread that joi de vivre throughout their staff and to the passengers. So, if I can, again, I like to sail with a CD I like. Just MHO and YMMV...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 2:53 pm

Captain Johnny made a lasting impression on us when we sailed on the Mariner of the seas. We are fellow Harley Enthusiasts, and it was great to see him ride right by us after disembarkation. Loved his annoouncements in the morning as well.
Back to top Go down
frannieburr
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 10:34 pm

Don't care about the captain just hope he keeps everything on the up and up.. as for the director i have only had encounters because on the emerald he taught the dance lessons... I would rather get to know the other cruisers not the staff...
Back to top Go down
duke214
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 7:10 pm

I'm not sure about the captain but I think one of the best cruise director out there is James Andrews on the Liberty of the Seas. He is full of energy and he's a riot. His activities staff was
one of the best I've ever seen also. They were so much fun and
personable.
Back to top Go down
darlene
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 1:56 am

NDJollyMon wrote:
It's nice to have a good cruise director. They can make things really fun.
I think it's more important to have friendly, energenic entertainment staff...because we interact with them much more at activities throughout the cruise.
I find it nice to meet the captain...but I'd rather build a relationship with a great bartender!

i think having a great cruise director is a very good plus, they are the ones that make it alot more interesting, ask ndjollymon about the cruise we were on and the cd gave him the most frozen shirt ever, sorry to say he didn't win the contest, buti am sure he will always remember her,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 10:52 am

We had a fabulous cruise director on the Jewel of the Seas. He and his wife who was also on the ship were ex ballroom dance competitors having achieved a high ranking in world events. One night in the forum he sat chatting with a small group of us for well over an hour even getting up and demonstrating dance steps , giving advice and correcting our posture.

queen
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 12:33 pm

I fall into the group to whom the Captain and CD doesn't matter in my cruise selection. Reading the other posts shows what a wonderfully varied group we cruisers are. The people I remember most, are the fellow cruiser I meet onboard (and of course at Cruise Freeks).
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 1:10 pm

I am one of those who could care less. Wink

I can only name one cruise director on any of my past cruises and that's only because they talk about him so much on the other board. Laughing

Other than that, doesn't matter to me at all.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:24 am

I can't remember any of my past Captains or CDs, and there has been quite a few, so clearly it really doesn't matter much to me. I even had dinner with a couple of captains but nothing that left a lasting impression.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Captains and Cruise Directors   Captains and Cruise Directors Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Captains and Cruise Directors
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next